OpenSolaris Hadoop Live CD Running as Guest?

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
weststar43
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ubuntu, opensolaris, xp,

OpenSolaris Hadoop Live CD Running as Guest?

Post by weststar43 »

Any reasons why this would not run inside as a guest? Are zones compatible with virtualbox?

From: http://opensolaris.org/os/project/livehadoop/ and http://opensolaris.org/os/project/liveh ... kStart.pdf.

I installed it using the NAT and general default settings for oepnsolaris. It boots fine. I can follow the directions to start the Hadoop file system without any errors, but when I go to run the mapreduce command everything hangs with no errors.

OpenSolaris Hadoop LiveCD
From bootup to Hadoop cluster in 15 minutes

This project initial CD development tool aims to provide new users to Hadoop with a fully functional Hadoop cluster that is easy to start up and use. We have built a bootable CD-ROM image that provides users with a three-node virtual Hadoop cluster using OpenSolaris Zones. The CD is "live", meaning that it does not modify the contents of the user's computer. This makes it ideal for those wishing to try out Hadoop without having to install any software.

A community project: Our hope is that by lowering the barrier to trying out Hadoop, more people can try it out and explore its features. If you have requests, ideas, or suggestions for improvements to this distribution of Hadoop, please post them to the discussion board here. We'd like to include additional features in this release, and Hadoop in general, that make its adoption easier.

Features of the OpenSolaris Live Hadoop Bootable CD-ROM

* All-in-one bootable CD-ROM OpenSolaris operating system and Hadoop 0.17 distribution included in this distribution.
* "Live CD": Everything runs directly off of the CD--no software is installed and no local files are modified
* Ideal for classroom and lab environments where computers are shared with others

* Three node virtual Hadoop cluster Once OpenSolaris boots, two virtual servers are created using Zones
* Zones are very lightweight, minimizing virtualization overheads and leaving more memory for your application
* The "Global" zone hosts the NameNode and JobTracker, and two "Local" zones each host a DataNode and TaskTracker

For several reasons I have not run it as a live cd, but I have not found any search results that indict there is a problem with the iso image running.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: OpenSolaris Hadoop Live CD Running as Guest?

Post by Perryg »

You need to have at least 1 gig of memory (according to the project main page) set in VBox and it usually starts at 256 or 384. Try changing the RAM setting and see if this helps.
weststar43
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ubuntu, opensolaris, xp,

Post by weststar43 »

Bingo again!

I did have the original base memory set to 1GB but it must not really be enough. I was experimenting on a laptop with only 3G total and was limited to how much could be assigned to the opensolaris image.

I just ran it on a Vist64 host with 3G assigned to the opensolaris guest and it worked fine. Now I have to see how to convert it from a live cd image to one that is persistent.

We are having a bit of an interoffice rivalry between VMplayer and virtualbox. I'm liking virtualbox.

Perryg, you are two for two today for helping to fix my problems. Cool!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Glad I could help.