Opensolaris 2008.11 guest crashes after upgrade to VB 2.2

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
vbuser123

Opensolaris 2008.11 guest crashes after upgrade to VB 2.2

Post by vbuser123 »

Hi!
After I upgraded from VirtualBox 2.1.4 to 2.2.0 when starting the OpenSolaris 2008.11 guest it crashes right after the startup progress bar when the graphical login screen was to appear into a blank white screen. If I hit any key then the screen turns black and prints something like "opensolaris console log in:" but pressing any further key will just produce a bunch of odd characters and then the same line again and again, same with the initial boot environment and as well with the "text boot" mode where the odd characters will apperar right after the text login prompt.
Does anyone know a clever way to revive my OpenSolaris guest?
Thanks vbuser123
alanm
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris

Re: Opensolaris 2008.11 guest crashes after upgrade to VB 2.2

Post by alanm »

I'm seeing similar behavior. VB has been very reliable, so I upgraded to 2.2 when prompted. Now, my VM on startup gets stuck at the login screen. (It appears to try to open the guest OS -- OpenSolaris 2008.11 -- window, but that window just flashes on for a sec and then reverts to the login window. Am running on MacOS and have been for several months without error. Have upgraded to each succeeding VB release. Is there some way to revert to previous release of VB and get back to running again?

One update. I tried re-installing VB 2.2, but same behavior persists. I'm not finding any concrete instructions on how to roll back to the previous version of VB, which is what I think I want to do right now. Any help greatly appreciated.
rogersaurus
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris

Post by rogersaurus »

Use back your old installer, and reinstall. Find your .VirtualBox directory and completely delete it. Create a new VM, find your pre 2.2 vdi's, boot into them and remove any guest additions.
jkeil

Post by jkeil »

Is this perhaps with a 32-bit OpenSolaris guest, 4MB or more of video memory,
and with cpu hardware virtualization (VT-x / AMD-V) disabled?
Could this be bug 4067 http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4067 ?