OpenSolaris Guest - Time is one hour off from host

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
enilkciw

OpenSolaris Guest - Time is one hour off from host

Post by enilkciw »

I have several hosts running an OpenSolaris guest each. On every system when I boot the OpenSolaris guest the time is EXACTLY one hour behind the host. IF I run ntpdate it updates the time to the correct time so it's not a TZ issue (or it would seem). Same issue on a MacOS, Windoze XP, and Ubuntu host. I am in the Central Time zone (CST6CDT).
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: OpenSolaris Guest - Time is one hour off from host

Post by vbox4me2 »

If it happens on all Hosts and the offset is also the same, it has to be a TZ issue in the Guest.
enilkciw

Post by enilkciw »

It ONLY happens with OpenSolaris guest on ANY host. It is NOT a TimeZone issue.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

In terms of ruling out the causes, you've just hit the area of interest, your solaris guest is having a TZ issue.
enilkciw

Post by enilkciw »

Strangely enough, now that we are on DST the time is correct when I boot the OpenSolaris guests. I would entertain suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

I had a similar problem on a 64-bit Solaris 10 u5 guest (vbox 2.1.4), WinXP host. After the change to Daylight Savings Time, the guest time was one hour ahead of the host. My guest time zone was set correctly. Solaris 10 u3 on a sparc machine handled the DST change correctly, as it always has. Hmmm.
rlhamil

Post by rlhamil »

Keep in mind that Intel systems typically run their battery clocks in _local_ time (changing them if needed to/from DST),
while Unix and similar use a time counting from the start of 1970 GMT, in seconds. So maybe the problem happens
during DST if your host (?) runs a TZ like EST5EDT, that uses DST. One would have to try out a few scenarios, e.g.
see if the problem goes away if using a DST-free TZ on the host.