Fed up of dying Solaris guests

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Re: Fed up of dying Solaris guests

Post by sandervl »

I've just fixed an old bug that affects 64 bits guests OSes on AMD machines. The symptoms were random crashes and hangs.

If some of you have seen this problem on Intel machines, then it's unrelated to the above fix.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

sandervl,

That's great. Thank you.

Do you or others on the Vbox team have any news regarding fixes related to increasing the stability of 64-bit Solaris guests on 32-bit hosts (particularly Windows Intel hosts)?
sandervl
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

I've just fixed another bug that caused 64 bits Solaris guests to hang randomly (timing related if and when you'd see it). 3.0.6 will contain the bug fix.

This one could appear on all hosts and CPUs.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

sandervl wrote:I've just fixed another bug that caused 64 bits Solaris guests to hang randomly (timing related if and when you'd see it). 3.0.6 will contain the bug fix.

This one could appear on all hosts and CPUs.
Cool. I have recently had my 64-bit Solaris guest on 64-bit Vista hang. Has been quite stable up until that point. You guys are getting it done, one bug at a time! :-)
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

Great! Thank you, Sander.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

64-bit guests will not boot on 32-bit Windows hosts with 3.0.6. #4947

With 3.0.6, 32-bit Solaris 10 u7 guests on a 32-bit WinXP host will still hang (xorg/JDS), especially if >1 processor is selected with SMP. This is not the same type of hang as experienced before (#2258), as the processors are not pegged. Just slow death of the Xorg windowing system. This problem has been reported by myself previously. Guest and Vbox GUI must be restarted to get back to stable behavior.

For all intents and purposes, SMP is not supported on 32-bit hosts for Solaris guests.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

rasta wrote:64-bit guests will not boot on 32-bit Windows hosts with 3.0.6. #4947

With 3.0.6, 32-bit Solaris 10 u7 guests on a 32-bit WinXP host will still hang (xorg/JDS), especially if >1 processor is selected with SMP. This is not the same type of hang as experienced before (#2258), as the processors are not pegged. Just slow death of the Xorg windowing system. This problem has been reported by myself previously. Guest and Vbox GUI must be restarted to get back to stable behavior.

For all intents and purposes, SMP is not supported on 32-bit hosts for Solaris guests.
your problem is using a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host, not smp; it seems to be a bug in 3.0.6, there's plenty of posts about it - apparently it worked in 3.0.4

i'd say ditch 32-bit host os, especially as you have a 64-bit cpu with vt-x.

64-bit linux host works fine for me.
giorgio42
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris,Win7,Suse11

Post by giorgio42 »

I am running osol snv_123 on Vista 64 bit on a core i7 920 CPU. Whenever I set the number of CPUs in the guest to more than 1, OpenSolaris starts to reboot randomly (could not finish a hg clone of netbeans sources).

Regards
Georg
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

giorgio42 wrote:I am running osol snv_123 on Vista 64 bit on a core i7 920 CPU. Whenever I set the number of CPUs in the guest to more than 1, OpenSolaris starts to reboot randomly (could not finish a hg clone of netbeans sources).
Yeah, I'm going to just have to say "don't do that" :-) Multi-processor support continues to improve, but it's still not ready for primetime. Fun to experiment with, but I don't use it on any of my important VMs. Looking forward to trying out 3.0.8 to see if it's better there!
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

Vbox 3.0.8 is COMPLETELY HOSED for Solaris 64-bit guests on 32-bit WinXP hosts. 1 processor used for guest, VT-X enabled. Boot is fine, but logging in takes over 2 minutes, and guest and host windowing systems are slow, unresponsive, and completely unusable. I can barely type this message from host, the windowing system is so slow. With no user processes running on guest, java processes retain constant 1-5% cpu load, as in bug #4411. Back to the drawing board, gentlemen. Networking seems ok, as it was in 3.0.6.

I'll test a 32-bit guest soon.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

3.0.8 Solaris guest additions were installed.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

32-bit guests are also completely hosed. See bug #5140.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

Disabling guest audio support is the only way I have found to get my Solaris guests to behave normally. With no audio, even 64-bit Solaris guests appear to behave quite well so far on my WinXP 32-bit host with VT-x.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

I found that Solaris guests will run normally when audio support is enabled for guest if the "Sounds for events" JDS desktop pref is disabled. However, JDS logins are much slower than in previous version of vbox if the Solaris JDS sound server is enabled.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

:mrgreen:

Although the problem I described above is very severe, with vbox 3.0.8 I see no evidence of the hanging of Solaris guests to which this thread mainly pertains. Therefore, I suggest that we end this thread and start others as needed.