Solaris 8 boot panic after Config Assistant

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
cmason

Solaris 8 boot panic after Config Assistant

Post by cmason »

Running 2.0.6 on Mac OS X 10.5.5. Trying to install Solaris 8 (2000 release) as guest.

Using the default Solaris guest setup it gets a boot panic right after the config assistant. I've tried all the different network cards and it does the same thing. However, if I remove all network adapters it boots, so this suggests a network interface bug?

Is there a possible workaround, or can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Chris
cmason

Re: Solaris 8 boot panic after Config Assistant

Post by cmason »

Btw, and in case someone else is having the same problem, Solaris 8 appears to work fine in the Mac OS X port of qemu (q.app) with the pcnet virtual interface. So, I'll use that for now, but it would be really nice if virtualbox could fix this.

Thanks.
cmason

Post by cmason »

Hey, I just noticed this change made yesterday!

http://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/14583

with the comment:

Turned on FAKE_REFRESH_CLOCK to allow Solaris 8 install

So, hopefully this means some nice person has fixed the problem, and I just need to wait for the next point release! Yay!
Michael K.H

Solaris 8 still not booting with VB 2.1.0

Post by Michael K.H »

Hi, i tried to install Solaris 2/02 on both, XP Host and Solaris 10 Host. Twice the same. It now passes the blue screen configuration pages, but after the "booting kernel" and copyright messages, the screen turns white and no more activity is shown.
Does anybody have successfully installed the Solaris 8 on VB 2.1.0 ?
:cry:
Michael
cmason

Re: Solaris 8 still not booting with VB 2.1.0

Post by cmason »

Michael K.H wrote:Hi, i tried to install Solaris 2/02 on both, XP Host and Solaris 10 Host. Twice the same. It now passes the blue screen configuration pages, but after the "booting kernel" and copyright messages, the screen turns white and no more activity is shown.
Does anybody have successfully installed the Solaris 8 on VB 2.1.0 ?
:cry:
Michael
Yes, I have the same problem. I find it hard to believe that Sun can't put out a product that runs it's own OS, and this is just two versions back. With vmware you can still run DOS and Windows 3.1 and that's way older than Solaris 8.

Can someone please fix this?

Thanks,

Chris
axus

Post by axus »

It's working better in 2.1.4, but the keyboard input won't work correctly after you get to language selection. I've actually seen this kind of behaviour on real hardware, and it needed a boot disk for the particular hardware. I'm using an old CD for Solaris 8, of course I can't get any of the newer releases for it now. Has anyone gotten it to work, perhaps with an extra diskette image?