Windows XP guest - Failed to initialize drawing surfaces

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Jqrzen

Windows XP guest - Failed to initialize drawing surfaces

Post by Jqrzen »

I installed windows xp on my virtual machine because I wanted to play an old game from my childhood (Boris), but now when i try to start it up I get this error: "Failed to initialize drawing surfaces... " (picture below).
I tried installing the Guest Additions, as well as updating the drivers using driverpack solution, but it didn't fix the problem. I have allocated 128mb of vram. I attached my log here as well.
It might be important to mention that i ripped the game from the CD.
What can I do to fix this problem?
Attachments
The error message
The error message
boris_failed.png (60.02 KiB) Viewed 969 times
XP-2020-09-20-17-20-37.zip
My log
(28.35 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows XP guest - Failed to initialize drawing surfaces

Post by scottgus1 »

You will probably have to enable 3D acceleration, and the version of Virtualbox you are running, 6.1.14, like all 6.1.x, does not have 3D for anything less than Windows 7.

Uninstall Guest Additions from the guest and shut down XP.

Uninstall the 6.1.14 Extension Pack, then uninstall 6.1.14 Virtualbox.

Download and install 6.0.something (6.0.14 was stable according to forum responses) and the 6.0.14 EP if needed. Enable 3D acceleration. Ignore warnings that video card and 3D changes are coming in 6.1.x, you've been there/done that. Keep using the old VboxVGA video card.

Start XP in Safe Mode. Install the Guest Additions with 3D. Restart the guest in normal mode, then try the game.

If the game doesn't work then, you'll have to dual-boot with XP or another Boris-compatible OS. Some games don't work in VM's.