Major problems using a Logitech C920s with Zoom despite a capable computer

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
greengrass

Major problems using a Logitech C920s with Zoom despite a capable computer

Post by greengrass »

Hi there,

I have been using a Windows 10 host and guest for the last few weeks, running Zoom from within the guest, but my problem is that the webcam (A Logitech C920s, using Logitech Capture on the host device) regularly disconnects and I have to keep starting the video again. I get the USB disconnection sound, and then my video stops, and I have to manually start it again within Zoom. Often this happens many times per hour.

I have a i7-7700k with 32gb of RAM and a GTX 1070.

See attached for the log file, saved just after a number of instances of this happening this morning.

No matter how I adjust the VirtualBox settings, this keeps happening, particularly when I have a few tabs and apps open within both the guest and host.

For the system settings, I have 3072 MB allocated for the guest, and 2 of my 8 CPUs allocated, and the execution cap is at 100%. Currently I have video memory set at 96 MB with 2 virtual monitors.

Please help! It would be so appreciated! Thank you!
Attachments
Win 10-2020-09-17-10-08-03.zip
(35.29 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Major problems using a Logitech C920s with Zoom despite a capable computer

Post by scottgus1 »

I see lots of USB resets:
00:37:07.428803 xHCI: USB Suspended
00:37:07.428862 xHCI: Hardware reset
00:37:07.428962 VUSB: HidMouse: reset request is ignored, the device is already resetting!
00:37:07.428971 VUSB: Webcam: reset request is ignored, the device is already resetting!
00:37:07.438925 xHCI: Root hub-attached device reset completed with VINF_SUCCESS
00:37:07.438967 xHCI: Root hub-attached device reset completed with VINF_SUCCESS
00:37:09.442804 xHCI: USB Operational
00:37:09.801424 USBWEBCAM: request 0x80 0x06 0x0600 0x0000 10, cb 18
Could the guest OS possibly be power-controlling its USB controller? Google how to turn that off.

Also it appears that the special webcam passthrough feature of the Extension Pack is being used. Try disabling that and use a direct USB filter instead. USB basics and troubleshooting
greengrass

Post by greengrass »

Although I turned off the power control settings for USB devices in both the host and the guest OS, this problem is still happening.

To clarify, I am using the Logitech Capture app on the host device, and then capturing on the guest the webcam feed that's created using that. So, using the USB filter would not work. I am also unable to get Logitech Capture app to run on the guest OS, so I have to run that from the host OS (the app allows me to adjust the video feed significantly, beyond the raw webcam capture).

Is there anything else I can try?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

greengrass wrote: I am using the Logitech Capture app on the host device, and then capturing on the guest the webcam feed that's created using that.
I don't know if this is a supported method. It could be that the devs only programmed to receive a straight-through webcam feed, not something that comes through a host app. Or it's just incompatibilities between Logitech Capture and Virtualbox: those things happen.

If you do not have "Logitech Capture" installed on a PC, does the webcam appear as a basic webcam to the PC's OS?

If so, try passing the webcam to the guest with no extra software running to interfere with the direct stream from the webcam.