Sound & graphics issues on migrated Windows guest from Parallels to Virtual Box

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
lth0ms0n

Sound & graphics issues on migrated Windows guest from Parallels to Virtual Box

Post by lth0ms0n »

Hi everyone,

I migrated a Windows 7 guest from a Parallels VM to Virtual Box and now I have major issues with graphics and sound on the machine.

I'm using this machine to play an old game for a YouTube channel so I kinda need to get this fixed!

I've already installed the guest tools on the machine so it's not that...

Has anyone encountered this and has any suggestions for what I can do to resolve it?

Thanks!
Lewis
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Sound & graphics issues on migrated Windows guest from Parallels to Virtual Box

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

You might also expand on what "issues" means.
lth0ms0n

Re: Sound & graphics issues on migrated Windows guest from Parallels to Virtual Box

Post by lth0ms0n »

Thanks for the reply MPack, I've attached the log file here.

I'm getting issues with audio - it's choppy. I'm also having problems with gameplay itself, it's not smooth...it's been slowed right down, can't decide if it's poor frame rate (it's not that I'm missing seeing things happen, more like playing the game in slow motion).

It worked flawlessly under Parallels. It's The Sims 1 that I'm playing (or, trying to).
Attachments
Windows7 PC-2020-07-05-12-26-26.log.zip
(31.02 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I should say first that gaming is not what VMs are best at, so it's possible that nothing will help.

However, 2D and 3D graphics acceleration is disabled enabled in the VM, so this will definitely limit graphics performance. I would enable both.

I don't see anything wrong with the audio config, but glitchiness is usually caused by high CPU use, so fix the graphics problems (i.e. stop it using software rendering), and then check if anything left in the Win7 task list is hogging CPU. If this is a new VM then Windows may be update checking and indexing for hours.
lth0ms0n

Post by lth0ms0n »

I'll do that and revert back. I have already tried the graphics rendering though and unfortunately no change - it worked flawlessly with Parallels.

I'm using version 6.0 - is it worth upgrading to 6.1 to see if that helps?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't use Parallels, I don't even use Macs, so telling me anything about what works or not in Parallels isn't really helping us make progress with VirtualBox.