Guest Additions won't install [resolved]

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
thiswormjim

Guest Additions won't install [resolved]

Post by thiswormjim »

Hi.

I'm creating my first ever VM. Installation details:

VM OS: Windows 10 Home
Host computer OS: MacOS HighSierra 10.13.6
VirtualBox installation file name: VirtualBox-6.1.10-138449-OSX
VirtualBox extension pack: Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.10.vbox-extpack

I have successfully installed all of the above files. However, when I open the VM and click "Install Guest Additions CD Image" it does nothing. Literally nothing. I followed the setup from a YouTube video, and they got a notification. I tried to set up a shared folder but the VM informed me it wouldn't work because Guest Additions isn't installed (so there's my proof). I have seen lots of people ask the question but they've been installing on Linux or Ubuntu, or the information in the response is really technical.

How do I get it to work?

If anyone can explain it to me like I'm a primary schooler, I'd be really grateful. I'm really new to doing anything with a computer other than browsing, so if you want any more system/log info I'll be happy to provide it but I would appreciate some instructions for finding it, if possible.

Thanks. Jim.
Last edited by thiswormjim on 1. Jul 2020, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Guest Additions won't install

Post by multiOS »

When you 'insert' the Guest Additions you should get a pop-up prompt in the bottom right-hand side of the Windows 10 Desktop asking what you want to do, but this doesn't hang around long and is easy to miss.

Bring up Windows File Manager > Select 'This PC' and you should see the CD Drive with the inserted ISO. Double-Click the CD Drive icon and it should launch the installer.
thiswormjim

Re: Guest Additions won't install

Post by thiswormjim »

multiOS wrote:When you 'insert' the Guest Additions you should get a pop-up prompt in the bottom right-hand side of the Windows 10 Desktop asking what you want to do, but this doesn't hang around long and is easy to miss.

Bring up Windows File Manager > Select 'This PC' and you should see the CD Drive with the inserted ISO. Double-Click the CD Drive icon and it should launch the installer.
Thank you. I've been able to install it properly now and it all works. Much obliged.