Windows 10 Guest on macOS Mojave Host; SD Card

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
AJ72

Windows 10 Guest on macOS Mojave Host; SD Card

Post by AJ72 »

Hi all!

I am trying to utilize an SD Card on my Windows 10 virtual machine, but can't seem to locate it. It shows up on my host OS (macOS Mojave), but no matter what I try I can't seem to make it appear on my guest OS. Does anybody have a possible solution?

Thanks, AJ72
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Windows 10 Guest on macOS Mojave Host; SD Card

Post by multiOS »

Not sure what you want/intend to do with the SD Card but, if it is simply for file access, the simplest option would probably be to set it up as a shared drive, especially if the card reader is built in to the 'Mac'.
AJ72

Post by AJ72 »

I simply want to access the pictures and files on my virtual machine, how would I make it a shared drive?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If you have Guest Additions installed in the Windows 10 guest, then you can use Guest Additions Shared Folders, see section 4.3 in the manual, to pick a folder or the root in the SD card, and open '\\vboxsvr' in the Windows 10 guest's File Explorer.

If you not have Guest Additions installed in the Windows 10 guest and do not want them installed, then you need to make a Virtualbox network between the Mac host and Windows guest. Bridged or Host-Only are good choices. Then share a folder on the SD card in your host OS. Web-search how to do so. Access the shared folder over the network in the guest OS.