Windows server 2019 Seamless Graphical problem

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ymg2006

Windows server 2019 Seamless Graphical problem

Post by ymg2006 »

Hello, There is annoying bug in Virtualbox 6.1.10.
Steps to reproduce :

1-Install a clean Windows server 2019 x64 DataCenter With Desktop Experience (Personally tested 1809 and 1903)
2-Install VirtualBox Guest Additions 6.1.10, reboot pc.
3-Enter seamless mode
4-Click on virtual machine Start Menu
annotation-2020-06-12-174715.png
annotation-2020-06-12-174715.png (62.03 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
no start menu is shown and existing menu vanishes!
annotation-2020-06-12-174740.png
annotation-2020-06-12-174740.png (100.83 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
Seems all universal windows apps have issues with graphics. Full screen mod is working fine.

Another bug is seemed to happen, Randomly VirtualBox boots too slow , I mean 10 times slower which is tangible.
Thanks.
Attachments
Config-Logs.zip
virtualbox config plus logs
(60.62 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows server 2019 Seamless Graphical problem

Post by mpack »

I would give the VM 2 cores, and enable 3D acceleration.

p.s. In future we only need one log, i.e. VBox.log, and be sure to make a zipped copy AFTER THE VM HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN.
ymg2006

Post by ymg2006 »

mpack wrote:I would give the VM 2 cores, and enable 3D acceleration.
Thank you for consideration @mpack,
The Randomly VirtualBox boots too slow is solved by changing second attached HDD from write-through to normal.
There was a graphic glitch while booting windows, Solved by changing graphic from VboxSVGA to VboxVGA.
mpack wrote: p.s. In future we only need one log, i.e. VBox.log, and be sure to make a zipped copy AFTER THE VM HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN.
For sure I will keep this in my mind.

PS : The problem with UWP and start menu remains same.
ymg2006

Post by ymg2006 »

mpack wrote:I would give the VM 2 cores, and enable 3D acceleration.

p.s. In future we only need one log, i.e. VBox.log, and be sure to make a zipped copy AFTER THE VM HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN.
Dear @mpack, do you confirm this issue?
I tested on windows 10 2004 regarding this issue but everything was fine with it unlike windows server with desktop.
It would be nice of you if you inform me with the latest news, Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Confirm what issue? The passage of mine that you quote makes a suggestion, I didn't undertake to do any more investigation: I'm a user like yourself, not a dev.

However, reading your post again this now looks like a clear example of the "transparency" issues we've seen with Win10 (2004). Possibly I updated my own Win10 VM to 2004 some time after the above, and hence had not yet seen the problem myself.

Anyway, follow these steps to work around the transparency glitches:
  1. Shut down the VM and disable 3D acceleration temporarily. Perhaps also change the graphics controller to VBoxVGA (I don't recall if I did this).
  2. Launch Windows 10 (basic graphics should now be stable, but slower. Don't try Direct3D or OpenGL - those will fail).
  3. Open the Win10 Settings panel and click on Ease of Access. Scroll until you see "Show transparency in Windows" and disable it (Microsoft move this option around: previously it was on Personalize|Colors).
  4. Shut down the VM again, restore the graphics controller to VBoxSVGA and enable 3D acceleration.
  5. Launch the VM again if you want.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:Open the Win10 Settings panel and click on Ease of Access. Scroll until you see "Show transparency in Windows" and disable it (Microsoft move this option around: previously it was on Personalize|Colors).
FWIW, in my Windows 10 2004 installation, the setting is available in both places simultaneously (and changing it in one place changes it in the other place).

Edit:
If Windows is not activated (yet), the setting under Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows is accessible, whereas the setting under Personalize > Colors > Transparency effects is not.
Last edited by fth0 on 6. Jan 2021, 00:21, edited 2 times in total.
Mehwish01

Post by Mehwish01 »

WS 19 patches way faster. Whether that's down to Microsoft fixing their beyond ------ update stack or just because at the moment there aren't three years of patches for it to process remains to be seen. It's still single threaded so I fear it's the latter.

I haven't had many issues with WS16 outside of RDS. The end-user UI can be utterly broken at times. Taskbar thumbnail previews like to get stuck open - it's infuriating. The rest of it has been okay.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 17. Sep 2020, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed expletive