[Solved] Visual glitches with 3D Acceleration (Windows 10)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
EDEN

[Solved] Visual glitches with 3D Acceleration (Windows 10)

Post by EDEN »

Hi everyone!

Im having visual glitches which is causing my Windows guest's performance to be kinda annoying. It only happens when 3D acceleration is enabled, but sadly it has to be enabled, there's no other way as im trying to use the VM for playing a light and almost not demmanding game. Yeah, i know that a VM is not meant for playing but as i said, the game is pretty light so it's not problem with it, the VM can handle it extremely well but the visual glitches on the Windows guest.

Im currectly using VBoxVGA but that happends with every single graphic controller.

I've recorded a video cause that way i guess will be easier for you to understand what is happening.

youtu.be/SbiYQYeUU2U (Sorry, VirtualBox doesn't let me to put the full video's link as im a new member)

I will try to provide as much info as i can, but im kinda new on Virtual Box so please, ask me for anything you need.

VirtualBox version: 6.0.22 r137980 (Qt5.6.2)
Guest Additions version: 6.0.22r137980
Extension pack: 6.0.22
Host: Windows 10 Pro (64 bits)
Guest: Windows 10 Pro (32 bits)

Im using the 6.x.xx version cause on the later ones, VirtualBox forces you to use VBoxSVGA in order to apply 3D acceleration which on my personal case produces texture glitches on the game im trying to play.

Thanks everybody for the help. I was trying not to disturb you but i've been two days now searching for a solution...

Edit: I have attached the log as the moderators usually ask for it.
Attachments
Metin 01-2020-06-09-11-13-43.zip
(33.48 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Last edited by EDEN on 11. Jun 2020, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Visual glitches with 3D Acceleration

Post by scottgus1 »

I didn't look at the Youtube video yet, but Windows 10 guests with 3D on sometimes benefit from disabling Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects.

Another possibility is a hardening error with a video card river:
00:00:03.057821 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: cached rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1 fProtect=0x2 fAccess=0x5 cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0346830.inf_amd64_35731e557194973d\B345901\atikmdag.sys
Try updating your host video drivers.

6.0.x will permit use of old-school VboxVGA and 3D. 6.0.x will not be supported forever, though, so going to VboxSVGA may be required one day.
EDEN

Post by EDEN »

Dude thanks you so much! With that transparency thing, solved almost all of my problems, but unfortunely the visual bugs still in the game due the combination of "3D and VBoxSVGA" that doesn't happen with VBoxVGA.
I've upgraded my Host video card drivers to the last version, and still happening so you almost fixed it all in one message, but seems like we need to go a bit further hehehe.
I will attach you a video so you know exactly what's happening with the video.

youtu.be/4WwcrETvgAo

Thx a lot :)

Edit: I will attach the new VBox.log too see if it has change and give us new clues about what happen with these texture problems.
Attachments
Metin 01-2020-06-09-19-44-22.zip
(31.05 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
EDEN

Post by EDEN »

Well, i've found a workaround to get over the texture problems and the other stuff was fixed on the previous reply so that's all !
Thanks so much for the help, i really appreciate it sir ♥
You can close :)
JustinH

Post by JustinH »

EDEN, was the workaround in your guest application or Windows or a VM setting? Can you share? :wink:
EDEN

Post by EDEN »

JustinH wrote:EDEN, was the workaround in your guest application or Windows or a VM setting? Can you share? :wink:
Hi Justin!

The workaround was on my guest application, that's why i didn't share it hehehe.
I ended up trying another software and seems to fit just fine for now :lol:
Avertae

Post by Avertae »

scottgus1 wrote:Windows 10 guests with 3D on sometimes benefit from disabling Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects.
+1 for this, otherwise Windows client on MacOS host is barely usable