Guest Additions install Error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
OwenTheHugger

Guest Additions install Error

Post by OwenTheHugger »

i keep getting an error while installing Virtualbox Guest Addtions on a Windows Vista Virtual Machine. Here's the error report

Code: Select all

Stopped logging into separate file
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions
Version: 6.1.4 (Rev 136177)
No previous version of Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions detected
Detected OS: Windows Vista (64-bit)
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
Checking for installation requirements for Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 ...
Extract: DIFxAPI.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxDrvInst.exe... 100%
Extract: VBoxVideo.inf... 100%
Extract: VBoxVideo.cat... 100%
Extract: iexplore.ico... 100%
Stopping VBoxService ...
Stopping VBoxService via SCM ...
Stopping VBoxService done
Stopping VBoxTray ...
Stopping VBoxTray done
Extract: VBoxVideo.sys... 100%
Extract: VBoxDisp.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxMouse.sys... 100%
Extract: VBoxMouse.inf... 100%
Extract: VBoxMouse.cat... 100%
Extract: VBoxGuest.sys... 100%
Extract: VBoxGuest.inf... 100%
Extract: VBoxGuest.cat... 100%
Extract: VBoxTray.exe... 100%
Extract: VBoxControl.exe... 100%
Extract: VBoxWHQLFake.exe... 100%
Output folder: C:\Windows\system32
Extract: VBoxService.exe... 100%
Extract: VBoxWddm.cat... 100%
Extract: VBoxWddm.sys... 100%
Extract: VBoxWddm.inf... 100%
Extract: VBoxDispD3D.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxNine.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxSVGA.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxICD.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxGL.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxDispD3D-x86.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxNine-x86.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxSVGA-x86.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxICD-x86.dll... 100%
Extract: VBoxGL-x86.dll... 100%
Extract: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\VBoxSF.sys... 100%
Extract: C:\Windows\system32\VBoxMRXNP.dll... 100%
Extract: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VBoxMRXNP.dll... 100%
Extract: C:\Windows\system32\VBoxHook.dll... 100%
Installing drivers ...
Installing guest driver ...
Executing: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf" "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_drivers.log"
Installing driver ...
INF-File: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf
(1) ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
(1) Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) Looking for Model Section [VBoxGuest.NTamd64]...
(1) Installing devices with Id "PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_CAFE&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00" using INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_b1c30f34\vboxguest.inf".
(1) Will force install because driver is not better and force flag is set.
(1) ENTER UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices...
(0) RETURN UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices.
(1) Installation was successful.
(0) Install completed
(1) RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x0)
Driver was installed successfully!
A reboot is needed to complete the driver installation!
Execution returned exit code: 0
Installing WDDM video driver...
Executing: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxWddm.inf" "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_drivers.log"
Installing driver ...
INF-File: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxWddm.inf
(1) ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
(1) Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxWddm.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) Looking for Model Section [Model.NTamd64.6.0]...
(1) Installing devices with Id "PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_BEEF&SUBSYS_040515AD&REV_00" using INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxwddm.inf_7f3d5a9a\vboxwddm.inf".
(1) Will force install because driver is not better and force flag is set.
(1) ENTER UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices...
(0) RETURN UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices.
(1) Installation was successful.
(0) Install completed
(1) RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x0)
Driver was installed successfully!
Execution returned exit code: 0
Installing mouse driver ...
Executing: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxMouse.inf"
Installing driver ...
INF-File: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxMouse.inf
ERROR (800b0100): No signature was present in the subject.
Execution returned exit code: 2
Error excuting ""C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxMouse.inf"" (exit code: 2) -- aborting installation
Error excuting ""C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxMouse.inf"" (exit code: 2) -- aborting installation
Last edited by mpack on 2. Jun 2020, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add code brackets.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest Additions install Error

Post by mpack »

This looks like a known problem with Vista not liking dual certificates on drivers. Instead of using the weaker certificate it recognizes, it complains about the stronger certificate it doesn't recognize, which is intended for later OS. This is nothing to do with it being a VM: Vista holdouts would have the exact same problem with any modern driver. I suggest that you Google for solutions.

Existing ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19316 (but note that the originator has a 32bit Vista VM).

Have you tested whether the problem still exists with 6.1.8?
bpoconno

Post by bpoconno »

I was having this issue and I think I solved it. I don't know what the defining solution was - but I went into C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions on the Guest (Vista VM) and ran every application as administrator. I can't remember which one, but either VBoxControl or VBoxDrvInst errored and said "This might not have installed properly, reinstall with recommended settings?" I reluctantly hesitated on this - but went back to using the recommended settings and it seemed to complete with no issues. Then, I ran the VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86 (on the Disk Drive) as administrator. It completed successfully and seems to be functioning as intended. I'm using Vista 32 bit as my guest vm on a Windows 10 Host. To clarify, I think the VBoxDrvInst is the one that was giving me problems - but I honestly don't remember. I just ran every application listed on the disk iso and in that VirtualBox Guest Additions folder on the C drive as administrator and then retried the -x86 executable. It was only after using those recommended settings that it functioned correctly upon running the x86 executable.
billynps

Post by billynps »

Estou com este mesmo problema no Windows 10, na versão 6.1.14 do Guest Addition
Trava e aborta exatamente nos mesmos erros.

Tentei rodar manualmente no prompt cada aplicação forçada, mas não consegui resolver

Alguém tem a solução para resolver isso?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

billynps wrote:Estou com este mesmo problema no Windows 10
I assume that Windows 10 is your host, and that you have a Vista GUEST. The host is not relevent to this discussion, the problem is with Vista itself.
billynps wrote:Alguém tem a solução para resolver isso?
Short of going back in time and fixing Vista, I'm not sure what can be done here. Removing the later certification would make the GAs incompatible with Win8 and Win10, and if it's a choice of Vista vs Win10... well it isn't a real choice. The other option is to build two versions of the Windows GAs instead of using dual signatures, I assume the devs have looked at that but I'm not aware of any comments made.
zeeh1975

Post by zeeh1975 »

bpoconno wrote:I was having this issue and I think I solved it. I don't know what the defining solution was - but I went into C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions on the Guest (Vista VM) and ran every application as administrator. I can't remember which one, but either VBoxControl or VBoxDrvInst errored and said "This might not have installed properly, reinstall with recommended settings?" I reluctantly hesitated on this - but went back to using the recommended settings and it seemed to complete with no issues. Then, I ran the VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86 (on the Disk Drive) as administrator. It completed successfully and seems to be functioning as intended. I'm using Vista 32 bit as my guest vm on a Windows 10 Host. To clarify, I think the VBoxDrvInst is the one that was giving me problems - but I honestly don't remember. I just ran every application listed on the disk iso and in that VirtualBox Guest Additions folder on the C drive as administrator and then retried the -x86 executable. It was only after using those recommended settings that it functioned correctly upon running the x86 executable.
This worked for me too on vista 32
aldrichs

Post by aldrichs »

OMG two years of not being able to install a current copy of Guest Additions.

Windows 2008, 2012 R2 guests. The install would abort at vboxmouse.inf and blather on about signatures.

On the Virtualbox guest additions cd.. open the cert directory. double click on the sha256 or sha1 cert. View the Oracle cert. Click on certificate path. Double click on the top one.. .Digi. Install the cert. Put it into Trusted Root Certs. Rerun install. it finishes this time without problems.

for fun, you can put the Oracle into Trusted publishers, and the first Digi cert into Trusted intermediate cert authorities... but that is not fully necessary.

ugh.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

aldrichs wrote:OMG two years of not being able to install a current copy of Guest Additions.
More like, OMG two years of "me too" artists not bothered to read the previous comments. Executive summary: if you want Vista fixed, go speak to Microsoft, but I suspect you may wait way longer than two years.

Locking this.