how do i add an extra virtual hard disk to win98 SE?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
agathosdaimon

how do i add an extra virtual hard disk to win98 SE?

Post by agathosdaimon »

Hi!

i have created an extra hard disk for my windows 98 SE guest OS in the settings, and when i start up if i go to the device manager i can see another drive in the disk drives section, but it lacks a drive letter and in the my computer window the extra hdd is not present

what else do i need to do to make teh VDI virtual storage recognised by the OS?

thanks!
pt58

Re: how do i add an extra virtual hard disk to win98 SE?

Post by pt58 »

Run Fdisk from a DOS prompt in the Win98 VM like you would if you were adding a 2nd disk in a real Win98 PC.

This will allow you to create a primary partition on the 2nd disk which you can then format from the Windows File explorer.

If you're not familiar with using Fdisk, then google will help!
agathosdaimon

Post by agathosdaimon »

okay thanks - i know about fdisk, but i wasnt sure if the VDI format was already formatted or something with the way it was described in a guide i misunderstood. Also its been so long since i had an actual win98 system i had forgotten how i access fdisk, was thinking that it would come up as an option on startup or in the bios - does oracle vm have a virtual bios too? or is that just all covered by the settings options?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

fdisk is a DOS or Windows command prompt command. It run inside the OS to partition disks. Why would it have anything to do with the BIOS?

Yes, the things you would usually do in the BIOS of a physical machine are covered by the settings of a virtual machine.
Bill
agathosdaimon

Post by agathosdaimon »

sorry i have finally gotten around to attempting this again - i have added a drive in the oracle settings, and it is there in the device manager but doesnt show up in my computer

i run FDISK and select to make a dos drive, but it lists the number of fixed drives as 1 - i assume that is just the existing drive with the os on it, where is the 2nd drive? how can i get teh 2nd drive recognised in FDISK?

in the oracle setting sthat second drive is set as secondard slave - is this correct?
pt58

Post by pt58 »

I've just tried this to make sure it works.
In Fdisk you need to use option 5 to select the 2nd disk.
Then use option 1 to create a DOS partition on that disk.
Exit Fdisk and reboot the VM.
You should now see an empty drive in explorer which you can format.