Windows 10 Autopilot for Virtualbox.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Salted Cashew

Windows 10 Autopilot for Virtualbox.

Post by Salted Cashew »

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has fiddled around with Autopilot provisioning for Virtual Box.

At the moment I'm facing an issue where all my Virtual Box VMs have 0 for their serial number.

I have set the serial number using VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "System Serial"

and it displays the correct Serial Number in the XML.

However when I run wmic bios get serialnumber on the VM it comes up with SerialNumber 0.

As you can imagine this is causing me some issues with Autopilot. The HWID/UUID is unique for each VM but it's just the serial number I can't seem to change.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
g4r

Re: Windows 10 Autopilot for Virtualbox.

Post by g4r »

bump to this, did you happen to figure this out?
kingtechie

Post by kingtechie »

Make sure you Prefix the SN with String:

VBoxManage.exe setextradata "Win10-21H1" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "String:YourSerial"
VBoxManage.exe setextradata "Win10-21H1" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "String:YourSerial"
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

kingtechie wrote:Make sure you Prefix the SN with String:
Correct, if the serial number is all number and no letters etc. The manual, section 9.9 says:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#changedmi
Note that in the above list, all quoted parameters (DmiBIOSVendor, DmiBIOSVersion but not DmiBIOSReleaseMajor) are expected to be strings. If such a string is a valid number, the parameter is treated as number and the VM will most probably refuse to start with an VERR_CFGM_NOT_STRING error. In that case, use "string:value". For example:

$ VBoxManage setextradata VM-name \
"VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "string:1234"