Office 365 Installer freeze on Win10 Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
adn

Office 365 Installer freeze on Win10 Guest

Post by adn »

Hi I'm trying to install Office 365 on Win10 Guest running on Virtualbox 6.1 and Kubuntu 18.04.
I'm getting a systematic freeze of the Windows guest as soon as I start installing the Office, the only possibility to exit is to shut down the VM.
I've tried several different configuration option, but the result is always the same.
Could you please give me some suggestions?
I'm attaching the last log I've got.
Thanks
Andrea
Attachments
Windows 10-2020-01-20-19-27-25.zip
(40.39 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Office 365 Installer freeze on Win10 Guest

Post by scottgus1 »

The only thing I see unusual is that this Windows 10 guest is using the old VboxVGA video card.
Try this:
Uninstall the guest Additions and shut down the guest.
Change to the new VboxSVGA video card.
Turn on 3D acceleration.
Boot the guest and reinstall the Guest Additions.

See if the Office install works.
adn

Post by adn »

scottgus1 wrote:The only thing I see unusual is that this Windows 10 guest is using the old VboxVGA video card.
Try this:
Uninstall the guest Additions and shut down the guest.
Change to the new VboxSVGA video card.
Turn on 3D acceleration.
Boot the guest and reinstall the Guest Additions.

See if the Office install works.
Hi Scottgus1, thanks for your suggestion, I'm using vboxvga because it was suggested in other posts in the forum, in fact it is the only setting that gives me a little bit more stability on the win10 guest. I've tried your suggestion, but the guest freeze every time even in the boot phase.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Hmm. I regret that I wouldn't know how to proceed, unfortunately. The only thing I can suggest is a google on "Office 365 Installer freeze on Win10". It seems to happen on real PCs too.
jamesderek

Post by jamesderek »

I saw something about this problem when reading an article about office 365 tasks. I'll try to find it for you.
theaprilhare

Post by theaprilhare »

With apologies for resurrecting the thread, I'm experiencing the same issue as adn, and this seems to be the only place noting the issue. I'm not sure that it's the same issue as the people on real PCs getting Office 365 installer freezes, since both the entire VM and VirtualBox itself freeze. (VirtualBox is no longer frozen if I kill the VirtualBoxVM process, however.) I've attached my log file here, though there's nothing that's obviously problematic.

The only other piece of information I can think that might be relevant is that the Office installer is displaying "We're getting things ready" when everything locks up.
Attachments
VBox.log
(111.69 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Freezing/lagging issues in the guest could be caused by the fact that you only assigned one core. Win10 really wants 2 cores, no more no less.

The host extension pack has not been installed.

I can't tell if the Guest Additions are installed, because the log is truncated.

This does not seem to be same problem as the OPs, you should really start your own topic.
UncleJoe

Post by UncleJoe »

Came across the same problem with a fresh install of OpenSuse 15.3 Leap as the host OS running VirtualBox6.1.30 and installing Windows 10 with Office.

I fixed the problem by going back into the machine settings, and where you indicate the number of CPU's available, click on PAE/NX.

I think Office365 has been compiled to a very specific set of Intel chips, so its necessary to turn on PAE/NX to expose the CPUs to the virtual machine.

Will post more if I run into issues, but the install went without a hiccup and Outlook is running.

Cheers all,

UncleJoe
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

UncleJoe wrote: I think Office365 has been compiled to a very specific set of Intel chips, so its necessary to turn on PAE/NX to expose the CPUs to the virtual machine.
The NX feature needs to be turned on to install and run Windows 10. If you chose the Windows 10 template when you created the VM then that setting would be turned on for you already.