cant get folder sharing working

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
oracle@ohds.co.uk

cant get folder sharing working

Post by oracle@ohds.co.uk »

Virtual box v 6.0.14
Windows 10 guest.
Mac host 10.14.1

I cant get sharing working. Have read and tried about 20 posts, without luck.

I have added the sharing under "shared folder settings" for the VM, and checked "auto-mount" and "Make Permanent". The folder path is /Users/me/OneDrive/myfolder. The mount point is c:\Users\me\myfolder and folder name of "myfolder". The windows and mac paths are correct and tested.

Have restarted the VM several times, with no luck.

Several posts say there is a devices menu with "install guest additions" or similar. My version of Virtual box doesn't have a devices menu on the VM, and has no option to install guest additions, so I assume this is done already.

Any ideas?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: cant get folder sharing working

Post by scottgus1 »

Guest Additions are required to use the Guest Additions Shared Folders settings you are attempting to use.

If your guest Virtualbox window has some Virtualbox menus but not the Devices menu, then in the main Virtualbox window, click your guest, then click any of the guest's Settings headings, to open the separate Guest Settings window. One of the possible Settings tabs is User Interface. Check that the Devices menu is enabled. If it is disabled, then enable it. If necessary, shut down the guest completely then restart it to get the Devices menu to appear.

If your guest Virtualbox windows has no menus, you may have it on Scaled mode. Type the Host-key-C combination to take the guest out of Scaled mode. (By default, the Mac host key is Left Command, so you should try Left-Command-C.)

If this all fails, the Guest Additions are an ISO file in the Virtualbox install folder. You can manually load the Guest Additions CD ISO into the guest CD drive by clicking the guest's CD drive in the guest Storage settings (it's a hyperlink) and then "Choose disk image..." and browse to the Guest Additions ISO.