Guest Additions vs. Guest Tools

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
w2tq

Guest Additions vs. Guest Tools

Post by w2tq »

I am running virtualbox on a Linux host with Windows guest virtual machine. In the past, I've always installed the corresponding version of guest additions, and have done so recently.

I have seen recent forum discussions and repository listings of the following packages:

virtualbox-guest-tools
virtualbox-guest-x11
virtualbox-guest-kmp-default

Although the accompanying information suggests that these are used by the virtual machine, I have not been able to locate a discussion in the vb manual or these forums that discuss their specific roles. Does the installation of the Guest Additions iso render these packages redundant?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest Additions vs. Guest Tools

Post by scottgus1 »

I see that you've been in the forum long enough to post links. Can you show these other forum pages where these other tools were discussed?

"Packages" don't run on a Windows guest, only the "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe", which appears to run either "VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe" or "VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe" as needed. These are in the Guest Additions ISO CD image that comes with Virtualbox.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

w2tq wrote:Does the installation of the Guest Additions iso render these packages redundant?
Yes, most Linux distributions supply their own version of the Guest Additions and split them into several packages. If you install e.g. OpenSUSE Linux inside a VirtualBox VM, those packages are probably installed automatically. Since the VirtualBox forums only support the original VirtualBox Guest Additions, we usually suggest to remove those packages and install the VirtualBox Guest Additions which accompany the VirtualBox Software.
w2tq

Post by w2tq »

fth0 -

Thanks. That confirms my initial conclusion.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

w2tq, glad you got the info you wanted. But I don't see hwere you were asking about Linux guests in your original post:
w2tq wrote:I am running virtualbox on a Linux host with Windows guest virtual machine.
Windows guests don't use any of those items you mentioned in your list.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:Windows guests
Argh, I overlooked this one. :(
w2tq wrote:Although the accompanying information suggests that these are used by the virtual machine
The package documentation means that they are used by the Linux OS if it detects that it is itself running inside a VirtualBox VM. On a Linux host, those packages are not needed at all.