Cannot restart my VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
kranai

Cannot restart my VM

Post by kranai »

Hi

I am new with virtual box usage. Recently I accidentally deleted some file in one of the virtual box directory because I saw a message that it could not rename a certain file because it did not clean during the last shutdown. But when I removed it and started "vagrant up" it went through and but when I tried to access my CMS wordpress sitle on my localhost machine at 192.168.33.10 it gave me a panel that shows it was going re-install my wordpress even though my wordpress files are intact.

I was afraid to proceed because I fear that all my work done on my website/themes in my public folder on my laptop might get overwritten and I will lose a lot of work done.

Can anyone please let me know how I can get back on track again: Below is the message I see when I do "vagrant up". I am running windows 10 (64bit).

$ vagrant up
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Importing base box 'scotch/box'...
==> default: Matching MAC address for NAT networking...
==> default: Checking if box 'scotch/box' version '3.5' is up to date...
==> default: Setting the name of the VM: WPDistillery-Demo
The name of your virtual machine couldn't be set because VirtualBox
is reporting another VM with that name already exists. Most of the
time, this is because of an error with VirtualBox not cleaning up
properly. To fix this, verify that no VMs with that name do exist
(by opening the VirtualBox GUI). If they don't, then look at the
folder in the error message from VirtualBox below and remove it
if there isn't any information you need in there.
(P.s. I checked in my VB GUI there was no VMs with the same name)
VirtualBox error:

VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not rename the directory 'C:\Users\user\VirtualBox VMs\build-stuff_default_1496193404567_88071_1577851854867_22901' to 'C:\Users\user\VirtualBox VMs\WPDistillery-Demo' to save the settings file (VERR_ALREADY_EXISTS)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component SessionMachine, interface IMachine, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "SaveSettings()" at line 3206 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

Look forward the help
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot restart my VM

Post by scottgus1 »

Vagrant does unexpected things with Virtualbox, so we don't support it here. You'll need to try Vagrant's forums.
kevin_david_k
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE Mandriva
Guest OSses: X

Post by kevin_david_k »

To avoid virtual machine restart failures, check that virtual machines become protected by vSphere HA after they are powered on. Also, ensure that your admission control settings match your restart expectations if a failure occurs. Maximizing the compatibility between virtual machines and hosts in the cluster can also reduce the likelihood of restart failures.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the thought, Kevin, but 'vSphere' is a VMware thing, and this is Virtualbox...