Windows 10 Performance

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
yehew

Windows 10 Performance

Post by yehew »

why is virtual box so bad with guest performance ???

MYSPECS
cpu : E5440 X 2 = 16 cores
ram : 32 GB
de : kde plasma

I tried windows ,7,8,10 with vmware specs

cpu cores : 2
rams : 8GB
and its very usable , quiate snappy considering its in a vm

I tried virtualbox 7,8,10 with virtualbox specs
cpu cores : 1
ram : 8GB

It seem more respondednt to less cpu cores than more , If I use lets say 6 cpu cores it suffers worst than if I use 1 core , it slows down becuase it seems to drag down the host with more cores used , example watchin a video with 6 cores virtual box , the host lags

with vmware I can use 6 core in vmware and it seems to only use what it needs and not drain the main host, But again the more cores I use with vmware just makes the
guest snappier and it feels like real metal use

I've done everything !!!!

enable host cache
messed with cpu cores and ram
virtualbox additaions installed

Im starting to think it a memory leak bug

and the vmware cpu I have, I have to use vmware 12 and it still out performes virtulal box with 2 cores

whats gives ???? has the latest update created bugs that cripple the guests
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 Performance

Post by scottgus1 »

We can't speak to VMware, we tend to be somewhat Virtualbox-centric on these forums, for some strange reason. :lol:
yehew wrote:It seem more respondednt to less cpu cores than more , If I use lets say 6 cpu cores it suffers worst than if I use 1 core , it slows down becuase it seems to drag down the host with more cores used , example watchin a video with 6 cores virtual box , the host lags
This is expected, though later Windows likes two cores. The more cores, the more overhead and scheduling, so the slower things run. More cores allows more parallel tasks, but slows down serial tasks. I have a Windows 7 guest on two cores that runs swimmingly.
yehew wrote:I've done everything !!!!
Perhaps not yet. Zip and post a slow guest's vbox.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.