Why Windows 10 guest has better performance in Windows 10 host vs Ubuntu 18.04 host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
VM2019

Why Windows 10 guest has better performance in Windows 10 host vs Ubuntu 18.04 host

Post by VM2019 »

Hello everyone,

I am evaluating my desktop application running in VM environment. However, I noticed that my application performance is better when the host OS is Windows vs Ubuntu 18.04 by roughly 30% on the same machine. The machine is quite powerful with 32 Cores and 128GB ram. For both setup, I assigned 8 Cores and 32GB for the VM running VirtualBox 6.1. I've also tried other Virtual Machine application, results were the same.

I also used a third party software to evaluate the CPU, memory and disk access of the VM, both setup performance results were about the same.

Anyone has any idea why Windows 10 host has better performance for my desktop application?

Thanks,
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Why Windows 10 guest has better performance in Windows 10 host vs Ubuntu 18.04 host

Post by fth0 »

VM2019 wrote:Anyone has any idea why Windows 10 host has better performance for my desktop application?
You have already checked the CPU, memory and disk access individually, and I have no idea what your application is doing, how should I have an idea then?

General idea: You could try using a lower number of vCPUs.