[Invalid] Configure buttons on USB mouse

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Shmu26

[Invalid] Configure buttons on USB mouse

Post by Shmu26 »

I have a Logitech gaming mouse: G300s. It connects via a usb cord.
It has many configurable buttons, and Windows software to do the configuring.
On linux host and windows guest, can I configure the buttons by means of the logitech software?

Will associating the mouse with the guest make it unavailable to the host?

WORKAROUND: By default, the settings are stored in the mouse, so almost everything works right for me, after having been programmed on a windows machine.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Dec 2019, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Configure buttons on USB mouse

Post by socratis »

Shmu26 wrote:the settings are stored in the mouse, so almost everything works right for me
So the mouse has an NVRAM to store its settings? Impressive!
Shmu26 wrote:On linux host and windows guest, can I configure the buttons by means of the logitech software?
If the software is running on the Guest, then the Host can't be affected, by definition, for security reasons.
Shmu26 wrote:Will associating the mouse with the guest make it unavailable to the host?
If you capture it with a USB filter, yes.

Marking as [Invalid].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shmu26

Re: Configure buttons on USB mouse

Post by Shmu26 »

socratis wrote:
Shmu26 wrote:Will associating the mouse with the guest make it unavailable to the host?
Is there another way for it to be captured? I mean, besides the regular default VB mouse driver that kicks in automatically?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: [Invalid] Configure buttons on USB mouse

Post by scottgus1 »

Shmu26 wrote:Is there another way for it to be captured?.,..besides the regular default VB mouse driver
Yes, Socratis told you how, in the very section of his post you quoted:
Shmu26 wrote:
socratis wrote:
Is there another way for it to be captured?
It is important for everyone in this forum, that we engage our reading comprehension when we look at answers to our questions.
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

scottgus1 wrote:
Shmu26 wrote:Is there another way for it to be captured?.,..besides the regular default VB mouse driver
Yes, Socratis told you how, in the very section of his post you quoted
Yes, according to the way you interpreted my post, indeed I do appear pretty senile :) But that's not what I meant, of course.
So I infer from your answer that there are only two ways to capture mouse: USB filter, and the default driver, neither of which will produce the exact result I am fishing for: a mouse freely available to both guest and host, and which has programmable buttons.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Shmu26 wrote:only two ways to capture mouse...neither of which will produce the exact result I am fishing for: a mouse freely available to both guest and host, and which has programmable buttons.
Correct. USB filter and typical mouse support are the only two Virtualbox ways to handle a mouse. And the USB filter will take the mouse away from the host completely.

You might be able to find a third-party program (Synergy or Mouse Without Borders?) that can do what you want.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

'Shmu26',
It is really important that you "tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth". Here's what I think happened:
  1. VirtualBox passes a generic mouse to the Guest, not a specific model "G300s" mouse.
  2. In order for you to program your "G300s" with the Windows software in the Windows Guest, you *had* to have used a USB filter, the software wouldn't be able to see a "G300s" mouse otherwise.
  3. By using a USB filter, you lost the "G300s" on the Host.
  4. What you were really looking for was for a way to use the "G300s" in both Host and Guest as an actual "G300s". Can't do with USB devices, not shareable.
  5. You're now looking for an "alternative" way, but doing so by withholding vital information from the problem description...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

Hey, I am all for full disclosure, but It didn't go quite like that. I first programmed the mouse on a regular Windows machine, oblivious of any other options, and then I started wondering if I can get the same functionality in a VM.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Dec 2019, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Shmu26 wrote:I am all for full disclosure
Shmu26 wrote:I first programmed the mouse on a regular Windows machine
Aha!!! Well my dear Dr. Watson, that threw the dogs off the scent...
You got to admit, I was pretty close with the clues given... ;)
Shmu26 wrote:I started wondering if I can get the same functionality in a VM.
As I mentioned the VM sees a virtual, generic mouse not your real hardware. The only way to see your real hardware is to use a USB filter, but then you'd lose it from the Host.

Or you can use two mice, one for your Host, one for your Guest... :D