[Solved] Win Xp guest / Win 10 host not recognizing USB 3.0 sticks

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win Xp guest / Win 10 host not recognizing USB 3.0 sticks

Post by mpack »

J1081 wrote:If I enable the xHCI device and set the extra data the VM will not start giving an error " VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS"
I'm pretty sure it can only give that error if you have a USB filter configured, which you certainly don't want to do before adding a working USB controller.

I would delete existing USB filters in the VM, then follow the tutorial.
J1081
Guest OSses: XP

Post by J1081 »

mpack wrote:I would delete existing USB filters in the VM, then follow the tutorial.
Absolutely correct.....I definitely missed that.

The VM starts as it should after completing the guide, no USB devices are recognized by the VM. It seems that there is a driver issue(see pictures)? I tried to let windows search for and manually point Win XP to the driver location from the "RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-30230-setup.exe" package it doesn't recognize/find the drivers.

Here a few pictures that may provide some clues as to whats going on......it's definitely outside my realm of experience.
driver.PNG
driver.PNG (5.75 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
Capture23.PNG
Capture23.PNG (21.31 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (33.53 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Show me the contents of the folder where you unpacked the Renesas files inside the VM?
J1081

Post by J1081 »

sure.....

This is the files right after extraction from ......zip.
Zip_Extract.PNG
Zip_Extract.PNG (43.01 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
These are the contents from execution of the Renesas setup application from the extracted files.
file1.PNG
file1.PNG (33.99 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
file2.PNG
file2.PNG (80.25 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ok, I can't get it to work either. I got it working easily enough the last time I tested this, so it looks like the driver files have been updated and no longer work. Looking at device IDs in the "inf" files they don't even seem to be for the same hardware. This is always the danger when we have to rely on third party code: the files are copyrighted so we can't simply make them available for download here.

I think you're going to have to forget USB3 for XP. Restrict to USB2 only using methods previous discussed, or use shared folders.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Lucky old me then? ;)

Here's what I did (again) and worked:
  • Enabled "VBoxManage setextradata "Windows XP" VBoxInternal/Devices/usb-xhci/0/Config/ChipType uPD720201", and the USB3 controller in the VM Settings. If you don't enable the USB3 controller while the token is enabled, you get an error: (VERR_PDM_NO_ATTACHED_DRIVER).
  • Started WinXP, found new hardware, cancelled out of the driver installation.
  • Run "RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-30230-setup.exe", 10142928 bytes, file version 3.0.23.0, internal build 92881, date 24/09/2012.
  • Rebooted, connected USB3 HD. All is good.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ah, somehow I had missed the setextradata part, I was too concerned with hunting down the correct driver and getting it into the VM.

Ok, having selected the non-default Renesas chipset using the setextradata command, the driver (top most obvious hit on Google) then works fine for me too.

I assume the OP is aware that the command is "VBoxManage setextradata <vmname> ...", and he shouldn't use "Windows XP" unless that is the name of his VM, also if the name contains a space then wrap the name "in quotes".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm pretty sure that the whole thread is a "lost in translation" scenario... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
J1081

Post by J1081 »

mpack wrote:I assume the OP is aware that the command is "VBoxManage setextradata <vmname> ...", and he shouldn't use "Windows XP" unless that is the name of his VM, also if the name contains a space then wrap the name "in quotes".
Yeah, I posted a picture of the setextradata command being executed. The VM shows a change to the hardware the hang-up is at the driver installation/ recognition.

socratis wrote:I'm pretty sure that the whole thread is a "lost in translation" scenario... ;)

I definitely don't disagree.......although the instructions are pretty straight forward I feel like something else is the culprit.

I think it's time for me to throw in the towel, I've spent entirely to much time on a non-criticle issue.....I greatly appreciate the time spent helping me out here!!!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

J1081 wrote: Yeah, I posted a picture of the setextradata command being executed.
I assume you mean a picture of the setextradata command that you typed - in which case I just reviewed the thread and I don't see it. Which post are you referring to?

I'm also not seeing the VBox.log file anywhere, so far we've been taking your word that the basics are all in place. That's often a risky assumption. If you want to continue this discussion then please zip this log before attaching it. Throwing the <vmname>.log into the same zip wouldn't hurt.
J1081

Post by J1081 »

mpack wrote:I assume you mean a picture of the setextradata command that you typed - in which case I just reviewed the thread and I don't see it. Which post are you referring to?
Looking back through the posts I see the picture (attached here also) I posted (16. Dec 2019, 22:39) was showing where I ran {getextradata "vmname" enumerate} rather than {setextradata} this was to show that the USB3 controller was already enabled at that point.

mpack wrote:I'm also not seeing the VBox.log file anywhere, so far we've been taking your word that the basics are all in place. That's often a risky assumption. If you want to continue this discussion then please zip this log before attaching it. Throwing the <vmname>.log into the same zip wouldn't hurt.
Correct, I never posted any log files, nobody asked to see them (or I missed It), I will do that but it will likely be Monday (unless I make to the office over the weekend) the host machine is at my office.
Attachments
extra data.jpg
extra data.jpg (38.64 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, two things disturb me about your screenshot. First, your cmd prompt is "C:\Users\Admin", implying either that you use the admin account all the time, or you were logged in as the wrong user while executing this command, and perhaps the original command too. Please clarify.

Second, when I type in that command I get :-
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (21.26 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
On the final line, notice that I have "Devices/usb-xhci" and not "Devices?usb-xhci".

Neither may be significant, but they catch my eye.
J1081

Post by J1081 »

mpack wrote:Well, two things disturb me about your screenshot. First, your cmd prompt is "C:\Users\Admin", implying either that you use the admin account all the time, or you were logged in as the wrong user while executing this command, and perhaps the original command too. Please clarify.
Yes, this machine uses the admin account only......believe me I don't like it (Security is my main AO in IT), but due to various factors, it "has to/ is the easiest way to" operate for my intended use. That being said, steps have been taken to ensure the host and VM's are isolated from the WAN.

On the second note.......you got me I have no idea why that would be different
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

J1081 wrote:On the second note.......you got me I have no idea why that would be different
Well, the most obvious possible explanation is that you typed the command incorrectly to begin with. That would result in failure because VirtualBox is not looking for a setting labelled with the key string you provided.

If it was me I would just fix the typo by editing <vmname>.vbox with a text editor. Look for the <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal..." line, and change Devices?usb-xhci to Devices/usb-xhci. VirtualBox needs to be fully shut down of course, plus I'd make a backup of the file.
J1081

Post by J1081 »

mpack wrote:Well, the most obvious possible explanation is that you typed the command incorrectly to begin with.
You are correct, the "?" should have been "/".....fixed it now, but I realized that was from my original VM, at the beginning of this process I created a VM with a clean Xp install and that is what I have been testing on, all images and screen shots since then have been from this clean XP install VM. The command is/was correct for that VM.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (18.55 KiB) Viewed 2725 times

I'm not sure where to find the <vmname>.log? The VBox.log is attached.
Attachments
CleanXP-2019-12-30-07-27-27.zip
(27.67 KiB) Downloaded 17 times