Windows Deployment Service boot in Virtualbox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jpl225

Windows Deployment Service boot in Virtualbox

Post by jpl225 »

Hi!

Can anybody help me with this question. I have installed in VirtualBox Vindows Server 2016 and Windows 10 Pro. What I want is to get Windows 10 to do lan boot via Windows Deployment Services boot image. But when I try this, Windows 10 says that there is no boot image (nothing to boot).

My configuration is like this: Windows Server 2016 has 2 network card: Nat and Nat network and Windows 10 has one: Nat Network. I have tried this also through Bridged network, but with no luck (and somehow in my Virtualbox there is no eth in Bridged network, only en wireless).

Can anyone help with configuration?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows Deployment Service boot in Virtualbox

Post by BillG »

A hint on terminology. VirtualBox is the name of the application program. The physical machine is the host and the virtual machines are usually referred to as guests. In your case you are running two guests, one with Windows 10 as its OS and the other with Windows Server 2016.

For a start, I would not have 2 NICs in the server vm. I would try it using the built-in internal virtual network. Give both machines just one NIC and set them both to Internal Network. I would also make sure to use the DHCP option so that both machines get their config from there.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Deployment Service boot in Virtualbox

Post by socratis »

One word of advice; the Internal network does NOT come with a DHCP server, you got to create one. And given the fact that there's no GUI for the Internal network, you will have to resort to the "VBoxManage" commands. Not something you'd want for someone that doesn't really have a good grasp yet of what a Guest is.

In the case of 'jpl225' I would suggest to simply have a single NIC, tied to the "NATnetwork". Comes with an easy way to configure the DHCP server too...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.