Hostid: set the Guest-MAC the same as the Host-MAC

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
andreMel

Hostid: set the Guest-MAC the same as the Host-MAC

Post by andreMel »

Hi,

I've virtualbox in linux host and windows 10 pro guest. I've a student licence for pspice circuit simulator and other Cadence software. When I asked for the licence I provided my hostname and hostid.

The problem is now that I installed the guest OS I get a different hostid so the licence doesn't work. Is there a way that I can get the real hostid in guest for the licence to work?

Thank you
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Hostid: set the Guest-MAC the same as the Host-MAC

Post by scottgus1 »

andreMel wrote:When I asked for the licence I provided my hostname and hostid
What exactly is this "hostid"?
andreMel wrote:now that I installed the guest OS I get a different hostid
If you gave the Linux host PC's "hostid" for the license, and then you're trying to get the license to work in the guest Windows, then whatever generates the "hostid" will see different hardware in the guest than it saw in the host, and generate a different "hostid".

You would need to find out what things the "hostid" generator uses to generate the "hostid", then let us know, so we can see if the manual's vboxmanage commands can pass what is needed into the guest. FWIW the manual allows setting the DMI information of the guest to whatever you want it to be, See section 9.11 in the version 6.0.14 manual

Alternatively, tell the folks at Cadence that you licensed in the wrong computer. They may be OK with switching the license. Ultimately you may need to work out the licensing issues with Pspice/Cadence.
andreMel

Post by andreMel »

First of all, thank you for your answer.
If you gave the Linux host PC's "hostid" for the license, and then you're trying to get the license to work in the guest Windows, then whatever generates the "hostid" will see different hardware in the guest than it saw in the host, and generate a different "hostid".
The hostid I've provided was the mac address of the host. My question was exactly that. Is it possible to the virtual machine show the same hardware of the host? if yes, how?

I've already change the mac address of the virtual machine to the one in the host, but I imagine it'll take more than that.

Cadence partner in France wasn't much of a help. Like, "it's a student licence, we can't reset't, bla,bla, bla, try dual boot".
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

andreMel wrote:The hostid I provided was the macadress....Is't possible to the virtual machine show the same hardware of the host?
Yes. One can type whatever MAC address one wants for the guest's network card, and one can type the host's network card's MAC address in the guest network card's MAC address textbox. Will the network complain? Will the licensing work? Ah, now there's the rub.

A quick Google on "multiple network cards with the same MAC address" might enlighten what your network will think of the host and guest having the same MAC address.
andreMel wrote:I've already change the macadress of the virtual machine to the one in the host
So what's happening?

I doubt anything in Virtualbox can help you switch the valid licensing to the guest from the host.
scottgus1 wrote:tell the folks at Cadence that you licensed in the wrong computer. They may be OK with switching the license. Ultimately you may need to work out the licensing issues with Pspice/Cadence.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I slightly changed the title from "Hostid" to better reflect the situation.

MAC addresses are supposed to be globally unique. If you have two MAC addresses that are the same BadThings™ will happen, if the Guest is on the network. I would augment (and shorten at the same time) the suggestion from 'scottgus1': search the webs for "duplicate MAC address". Enjoy... ;)

BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with VirtualBox, you would have the exact same problem it you were talking about two physical computers. That's what the Cadence developers are trying to avoid...

Another legitimate scenario would be to get a new NIC for your Host, and destroy/sell the old one. Then change the MAC address of the Guest to that of the old NIC. Problem solved; your Host is no longer authorized to use the software, your Guest is.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andreMel

Post by andreMel »

Thank you for your answers.

The pspice student licence is not supported for VM's, Cadence said. The only solution, they say, is dual boot.

I'll forget about pspice, I've Proteus, Multisim and Labview, working fine in my virtualbox and in the university I can choose to work on pspice or proteus.

I like having linux, I don't want dual boot, and except for pspice and some graphic issues when I choose vboxsvga, my VM is working just fine for what I need.

Thank you again