Win10 VM runs fine on Mint Host, not on Win10 Host, same hardware

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
HilltopsGM

Win10 VM runs fine on Mint Host, not on Win10 Host, same hardware

Post by HilltopsGM »

ModEdit; split from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94052
I'm wondering if my issue is related.

Win10 host on hardware with the latest nVidia Drivers installed (today) for GTX 560M, Win 10 guest, Virtual box Version 6.0.14 r133895 (Qt5.6.2) with Guest Additions installed, 3D checked:
Symptoms: seems to hang in the boot process. Initial Win10 splash screen, then goes to black . . . and then just sits there.

On the same hardware, I boot into Linux Mint 19.2, Booting the EXACT SAME Win 10 guest, Virtual box Version 6.0.14 r133895 (Qt5.9.5) with Guest Additions installed, 3D checked: And the VM starts perfectly.

VboxSVGA selected for both Hosts.

Has anyone found a solution for this - is it at all related to the issue in this thread?

Thanks for the assistance.
HilltopsGM

Re: Win10 VM runs fine on Mint Host, not on Win10 Host, same hardware

Post by HilltopsGM »

I don't know if this is of any use . . . when I check 3D and boot using VboxVGA (not VboxSVGA), I get the warning that VboxVGA will not be supported in versions 6.1.x.x etc, etc.
. . . but it actually starts and runs!

Is it an issue with VboxSVGA then on a Windows Host?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Win10 VM runs fine on Mint Host, not on Win10 Host, same hardware

Post by socratis »

HilltopsGM wrote:is it at all related to the issue in this thread?
No. That's why I split your posts from the original thread.
HilltopsGM wrote:Win10 host ... goes to black ... and then just sits there ... On the same hardware, I boot into Linux Mint 19.2 ... the VM starts perfectly.
99.9% it seems that you have a Hyper-V component enabled. You can tell if this is true from the status bar where the "slow" icon (Image) shows. Look at the topic "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" for some Hyper-V enablers that we're aware of so far.

If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, where proper, hardware virtualization is actually available, then the standard virtualization icon (Image) would show.
HilltopsGM wrote:I get the warning that VboxVGA will not be supported in versions 6.1.x.x etc, etc. ... but it actually starts and runs!
  1. You're not running 6.1.x.x etc, etc.
  2. You need to read the message carefully. Again.
  3. Even if you did run 6.1.x, the VM would still run, just not the VBoxVGA+3D, only VBoxVGA.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.