3D Applications have black screens

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ToastedPotatoes

3D Applications have black screens

Post by ToastedPotatoes »

System specs are as follows:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
AMD RX 570 4GB

Host has 4 cores and 8GB of memory dedicated. Application launches but displays a black screen. Guest Additions is installed and up-to-date.
Attachments
VBox 3D Logs.zip
(157.64 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 3D Applications have black screens

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.159190 File system of 'E:\VirtualBox\WinDev1911Eval\WinDev1911Eval-disk001.vdi' is ntfs
What's "E:\"? Internal/External/Network?

I couldn't find anything wrong with the VM configuration, which leads me to the next step: can you get a Win10 ISO from Microsoft? You create a Win10 VM, install it using the downloaded ISO. There might be something intrinsically wrong to the Guest that you have at hand...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jamesmueller08

Post by jamesmueller08 »

Try downloading and installing Nvidia drivers and it will work fine. Let me know how it goes.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

jamesmueller08 wrote:Try downloading and installing Nvidia drivers and it will work fine. Let me know how it goes.
Install NVidia drivers where? There is no NVidia card in the VM, so the installer won't work there. I also don't see mention of NVidia in the log, so no evidence I can see that the OP uses NVidia on the host. I do see evidence in the hardening log that an ATI card is present, OTOH no evidence of a hardening error at all (the error code is 0).
LordFwiffo

Post by LordFwiffo »

Could be the same issue I'm having with the new Final Fantasy 7 drivers I help test... game loads, runs, background music and sound effects play, and 3D objects get drawn, but anything 2D isn't. Works fine on bare metal or VboxVGA, but not VBoxSVGA.
sunlover
Oracle Corporation

Post by sunlover »

ToastedPotatoes, you are using rather old builds of VirtualBox and the guest additions. Please try the latest testbuild https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds