Extend Windows 10 Guest hard drive partition issues

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
AJ2020

Extend Windows 10 Guest hard drive partition issues

Post by AJ2020 »

I used a method here on the forum to extend a hard disk to 40GB from 32GB on my Windows 10 VM running in VirtualBox on my Mac. However, after I ran the command using "--resize 40000" as the size, the disk, although it did show in the settings of the VM as 39.06GB, the WIndows VM was unable to see that change in Disk Manageer (the VM only has the one partition, other than the other smaller Windows recovery partitions which I don't want to touch), and therefore, was unable to extend the existing hard drive partition. In trying to figure out why, the only thing I've come up with is that you really should not attempt to do this while you have Snapshots of the VM. I had actually taken a snapshot before extending the disk just for the purpose of reverting in case of issues, and I had another 2 snapshots I had taken previously still there as well.

How do I get Windows to recognize the extended partition, and did the snapshots impact this? If they did, how do I (or should I) reduce it back to 32 before removing the snapshots and attempting to extended the disk again? WHat is my best path forward to safely extending the drive?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Extend Windows 10 Guest hard drive partition issues

Post by socratis »

Please read How to resize a Virtual Drive.

Moving to "Windows Guests" from "OSX Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.