Cannot install DOS in Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
modelwiz

Cannot install DOS in Windows 10

Post by modelwiz »

I have an ISO version of DOS 6.22 in a CD and an IMG version of the intallation floppies as files, I am trying to ctreate a DOS VM in a Windows 10 workstation. The VM I create will not read either one in any way, so I get the following message:
FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted
The VM will not recognize any drive location or the CD/DVD drive. I have no floppy drive.
The program I need to run will only run in DOS, and there is no substitute.
NOTHING in the manual even hints at how to perform the installation
Any clue would be appreciated
Last edited by socratis on 9. Nov 2019, 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot install DOS in Windows 10

Post by scottgus1 »

modelwiz wrote:I have an ISO version of DOS...The VM will not recognize...the CD/DVD drive
Correct. DOS needs extra drivers to recognize and use CD drives. Bootable CDs started to be common around mid-Windows98. DOS should be all floppies or images thereof.
modelwiz wrote:NOTHING in the manual even hints at how to perform the installation
So many operating systems exist, it would not be practical for the Virtualbox manual to instruct on how to install each one. Basic instructions are given in Sections 1 and 3.

Try this web search, someone is sure to have done this before and reported on it:

install DOS site:forums.virtualbox.org
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot install DOS in Windows 10

Post by socratis »

Can I suggest something else? How about getting yourself a much newer DOS-like OS, like FreeDOS? Almost a perfect substitute for the original DOS, but with a newer implementation for this century...

They even have complete step-by-step instructions on how to install FreeDOS in VirtualBox, several Chapters...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.