Audio issues on Windows XP guest. Any tips?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Yoshi128k

Audio issues on Windows XP guest. Any tips?

Post by Yoshi128k »

I had installed a Windows XP virtual machine yesterday, and I noticed that the audio was low quality and... wasn't normal. I have done this on Windows hosts before, and on those, the sound was satisfactory. Has anyone had this issue on their Macs, and if you did and had fixed it, how?

System Info:
Host: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 on a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro
Guest: Windows XP Professional 32-bit (deleted at this point)
VirtualBox Version: 5.2.34
Processor: 2.9GHz Intel Core i7

Yoshi128k
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Audio issues on Windows XP guest. Any tips?

Post by socratis »

Yoshi128k wrote:Guest: Windows XP Professional 32-bit (deleted at this point)
So, what's the point of your question if you've deleted the guest?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Yoshi128k

Post by Yoshi128k »

Have re-installed three times now. Audio has not improved. Guest Additions have been installed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yoshi128k wrote:VirtualBox Version: 5.2.34
First of all, please update to the latest and greatest 6.0.14, of the 6.0.x series. And don't forget to update the Extension Pack (if any) and the Guest Additions (GAs) in your WinXP. Not needed for the audio, but it helps in general...

Then, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Yoshi128k

Post by Yoshi128k »

socratis wrote:First of all, please update to the latest and greatest 6.0.14, of the 6.0.x series.
I am unable to do that, due to the fact that 32-bit is no longer supported. My guest is 32-bit.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I think you have things a little bit mixed up... ;)
It's the 32-bit Hosts that are not supported anymore, not the Guests. So please go ahead and update/upgrade to 6.0.14...
Yoshi128k

Post by Yoshi128k »

Oh right! Thanks for clearing that up. :)
Last edited by socratis on 8. Nov 2019, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Yoshi128k

Post by Yoshi128k »

OK, so everything has been updated to 6.0.14. No improvement which I expected
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yoshi128k wrote:which I expected
I know what you mean, I expected a ZIPPED VBox.log too... :)

And please tell me where/how you're testing your audio output so that I can try to replicated it. Step-by-step procedure...
Yoshi128k

Post by Yoshi128k »

As far as I have tested the audio, when the guest's audio is being passed to my headphones, that is where the audio quality issue is. My MacBook's speakers make it sound fine. There is also a strange "tap" noise when a sound plays, and it only occurs once every time a sound is played. I think it is why the ding sound is cut-off. I am using the AC'97 emulation mode if you do not already know.

P.S: I will not be able to post until tomorrow, so don't expect a response until then.
Attachments
VBox.log.3.zip
The VM's log
(22.91 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Yoshi128k

Post by Yoshi128k »

Yoshi128k wrote: P.S: I will not be able to post until tomorrow, so don't expect a response until then.
OK, I'm back.
Yoshi128k

Post by Yoshi128k »

Here is the full log
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(18.71 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Yoshi128k

Post by Yoshi128k »

Just to let everyone know, I am still here!

Last bumped by Yoshi128k on 19. Apr 2020, 22:29.