Need Help with WinXp in Virtualbox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ATKlein

Need Help with WinXp in Virtualbox

Post by ATKlein »

Hi,
i have one Program only running under WinXP. Because there is no way to activate anymore, i tried to save 'Sicherungspunkt' / Snapshot, but
registration still counts down to zero.
Is there any other way to conserve the fresh installation so i can jump back to day zero of activation?
Can I save the VHD after installation and copy it back when activation is demanded?
Pleas help
Thanx
Alex
BADiMacs

Re: Need Help with WinXp in Virtualbox

Post by BADiMacs »

First, try installing VirtualBox 5.2 (this works on 32-bit computers) if you haven't already. You must be an administrator to do this.
Installing VirtualBox 5.2:
  1. [1] Search for 'VirtualBox' in your browser and click the first link
  • [2] Click on 'Download VirtualBox 6.0
  • [3] Press 'VirtualBox 5.2 Builds
  • [4] Click 'Windows hosts'
  • [5] If you are using Chrome, your file will download automatically; for Firefox: click 'Save file'
Hope this works! :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Need Help with WinXp in Virtualbox

Post by socratis »

@'BADiMacs',
I'm not sure how installing any different version of VirtualBox will help 'ATKlein' with their time-travel request. In fact it wouldn't help at all, I'm afraid your advice doesn't really apply to this problem...

@'ATKlein'
Creating a Snapshot won't help you stay in that time, because the WinXP Guest will try to synchronize the time next time you restore the Snapshot.

This question has been asked and answered many times in the past, had a simple search happened before the question was asked, there would be no need to repeat the answer again and again, but here you go. There are three points that a Guest tries to get the time, synchronize:
  1. At boot time from the Host.
  2. If the Guest Additions (GAs) are installed.
  3. If the Guest synchronizes time from the Internet.
For your Guest to avoid these three conditions, you got to (respectively):
  1. At boot time from the Host.
    Set the time offset from your host. From ch. 8.8.1 General Settings, with the VM completely shut-down, you need to issue the command:
    • 
      VBoxManage modifyvm "<Your VM name>"--biossystemtimeoffset <ms>
    You put a large negative number for the offset and your VM will start back in time. For example, if you wanted to go one year back, you'd put -365*24*60*60*1000 = -31536000000 as the <ms> value.
  2. If the Guest Additions (GAs) are installed.
    You need to disable Host-to-Guest synchronization. From ch. 9.13.4 Disabling the Guest Additions Time Synchronization, with the VM completely shut-down, you need to issue the command:
    • 
      VBoxManage setextradata "<Your VM name>" "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 1
  3. If the Guest synchronizes time from the Internet.
    That should be more than obvious, you disable that feature from within your Guest. And/or disable internet for your Guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.