MS Excel delay on worksheet cell focus after Guest Additions installation

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tech-sup-cu

MS Excel delay on worksheet cell focus after Guest Additions installation

Post by tech-sup-cu »

Problem description:
MS Excel has a delay on focusing worksheet cell when clicking from one to the next. The issue only happens after Guest Additions is installed.

When a cell in a sheet has focus (with Guest additions installed), clicking on another cell in the sheet and giving that cell focus takes about one second to two seconds. This may not be an issue for many people but when Business School student are working really fast with shortcuts key and have the need to switch from cell to cell quickly, then this can become noticeable and annoying.

System Information:
OS - Windows 10 Education 1809 64-bit
VirtualBox - Version 5.2.26 r128414 (Qt5.6.3)
- settings: 4GB RAM, 40GB storage, 2 CPU cores, enabled 2D, 3D accelaration, enabled I/O APIC
Mac host - macOSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

Steps taken:
I have tested that with Guest Additions installed, the issue is present, but with it not ever installed or it being removed than the issue is not present.
I have tried,
- comparing system components to which Guest Additions makes changes to their state (e.g. driver version, file size, etc) before Guest Additions installation, but I did not find any discrepancies.
- installing later versions of VirtualBox but the same problem occurs.
- analyzing system processes with ProcMon (from MS SysInternals) as mouse events are performed but I could not find and discrepancy between mouse events captured while Guest Additions is installed versus while Guest Additions is not installed

Please provide any insight or experience anyone may have about the issue. Also, please provide any questions you may have for clarification. Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: MS Excel delay on worksheet cell focus after Guest Additions installation

Post by scottgus1 »

Try with 2D and/or 3D acceleration disabled. Reboot the guest each time after toggling 2D or 3D. Also try updating host PC video drivers, since one or the other of 2D or 3D involves the host video system.

Also, try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95334#p461296
socratis wrote:
  • Change the Graphics Controller to VBoxVGA, boot the guest, login, wait for a couple of minutes, shut it down.
  • Change the Graphics Controller to VBoxSVGA, boot the guest, login, wait for a couple of minutes, shut it down.
  • Try to install the Guest Additions again.
If neither helps, zip and post a log using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also note that many posts in Windows Guests involve the new Virtualbox guest video cards being a work in progress. As they mature, these sorts of things may go away.