VirtualBox Guest not mounting USB device ["No USB devices attached"]

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ThinkFast

VirtualBox Guest not mounting USB device ["No USB devices attached"]

Post by ThinkFast »

The version of VirtualBox you are using, and whether you have installed the Guest Additions (in the guest).
  • Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.2), Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.2.22
Host & Guest make and version including 32 or 64 bit, and the amount of memory available to both.
  • Host Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601, Available Physical Memory 20.5 GB
  • Guest WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit, 5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600, Available Physical Memory 817.70 MB
Using USB basics and troubleshooting [In this Forum]

Testing USB access on IE6-WXP:
#4: USB Filters
  • Launched VBox.
  • Make sure that at least USB2 (EHCI) is enabled in your VM settings. If your guest supports USB3 (xHCI), use that.
  • I did testing with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0.
  • Plug your device.
  • Under VM Settings » USB, create a USB filter in your guest settings while the device is plugged in the host. Delete all values except Name, VendorID and ProductID.
  • Eject and Unplug the device.
  • Start your guest (the one that you applied the filter to). Let it start completely and wait until any disk activity has stopped.
  • Plug your device. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest.
  • When I highlight the USB icon in the bottom right corner of the guest window, is says "No USB devices attached".
  • When I right-click the USB icon in the bottom right corner of the guest window and highlight the device I plugged in, is shows the VID,PID,Rev,SN and State is "Captured". So what is capturing this device?
  • Tried to mount the USB device manually. Message appeared,
    Failed to attach the USB device PNY USB 2.0 FD [100] to the virtual machine IE6-WXP.
This version of WinXP (IE6-WXP) was prebuilt with older Guest Additions,
So I updated Guest Additions to match the version 5.22 of Virtualbox on the Host.
*** [Tested again and got the same results!]
When I highlight the USB icon in the bottom right corner of the guest window, is says "No USB devices attached".
#5: Common problems
  • No USB devices are listed
  • If you're on Windows did you try reinstalling VirtualBox with the Run-As-Administrator option?
[Run as Admin]Re-Installed [Repair]VirtualBox 5.2.22 to [IDir E:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\]
  • [Installer VirtualBox-5.2.22-126460-Win.exe]
  • Option [Install Oracle USB Driver?] Yes, Installed.
  • Requires Restart. Restarted.
  • Launched VBox.
  • Launched IE6-WXP. Let it start completely and wait until any disk activity has stopped.
  • Plug your device. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest.
  • Message said "Installed VirtualBox USB Driver". First time after Re-Installed [Repair]VirtualBox 5.2.22.
  • When I highlight the USB icon in the bottom right corner of the guest window, is says "No USB devices attached".
  • Reinstalled the Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.22
  • Restarted VBox.
Testing USB access on IE6-WXP again:
  • Under VM Settings » USB, Enable USB Controller is selected and USB 1.1 (OHCI) Controller is selected.
  • Launched IE6-WXP. Let it start completely and wait until any disk activity has stopped.
  • When I right-click the USB icon in the bottom right corner of the guest window, the PNY USB is not listed. As though this Host has never seen it.
  • When I right-click the USB icon in the bottom right corner of the guest window and highlight the device I plugged in, is shows the VID,PID,Rev,SN and State is "Captured".
  • Checked. The device is not attached to the host.
Is there a way to tell what application/driver has control of a USB device?
  • I used USBDeview to get more information:
  • When connected the device to the Host w/o the guest running, the driver is USBSTOR.SYS and it mounted on P:.
  • When I ejected it from Explorer, it unmounts the device, but it is still visible in Explorer and still connected in USBDeview.
  • When I disconnect the device, neither Explorer or USBDeview show it connected.
  • Those results were expected.
  • USBDeview still shows the last driver is USBSTOR.SYS.
  • I changed to the USB 2.0 Controller in VBox.
  • Messages from the guest said it found a new USB controller and HUB and installed drivers for them (Successfully).
  • USBDeview shows the driver is VBoxUSB.SYS and shows it is connected.
  • When I right-click the USB icon in the bottom right corner of the guest window and highlight the device I plugged in, is shows the VID,PID,Rev,SN and State is "Captured".
  • Checked. The device is not attached to the host.
Next step would be to uninstall one or all of the following apps:
  • Uninstalled Microsoft XBox 360 Accessories 1.2
  • Uninstalled Pinacle Game Controller
  • Uninstalled Padstarr
  • Then restarted Win 7.
  • USBDeview shows the driver is VBoxUSB.SYS and shows it is connected.
  • I'm out of ideas.
Thanks in advance for help.
Attachments
IE6 - WinXP [IE6.XP.For.Windows.VirtualBox].zip
(23.89 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by socratis on 25. Oct 2019, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox Guest not mounting USB device ["No USB devices attached"]

Post by socratis »

Do you know the meaning of TLDR? ;)

Please focus on the instructions in USB basics and troubleshooting » #8: Asking for help.

I (or anyone else) don't want to have to read the short version of "War and Peace"... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ThinkFast

Post by ThinkFast »

Sorry if I presented too much detail, but I have read many posts from people who claimed to have done all things suggested and later it becomes clear they really didn't.
I spent a lot of time using the USB basics and troubleshooting guide in the hope that I could solve this problem on my own.

I will try to summarize:
Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.2), Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.2.22
Host Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601, Available Physical Memory 20.5 GB
Guest WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit, 5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600, Available Physical Memory 817.70 MB

I started VBox on the host (Win7) and connected the USB key. I setup a filter on the guest (WinXP) with only the Name, VendorID and ProductID. Then ejected the USB from the host and started the guest. When the guest was finished starting and any disk activity had stopped, I plugged in the USB key. When I highlight the USB icon in the bottom right corner of the guest window, is says "No USB devices attached". USBDeview shows the driver is VBoxUSB.SYS and shows the USB key is connected. I started Explorer on the guest and the USB key is not mounted or visible.

Using the USB basics and troubleshooting guide, I tried all the suggested methods. I really thought reinstalling VirtualBox with the Run-As-Administrator option was going to fix the issue. I reinstalled the Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.22 and I updated Guest Additions to match the version 5.22 of Virtualbox on the Host and then restarted VBox. I uninstalled the following programs (Microsoft XBox 360 Accessories 1.2, Pinacle Game Controller and Padstarr) that I thought might be interfering with VBox and rebooted the host. I repeated my tests with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, but no matter what I tried, I could not access the USB key from the WinXP guest.

USB basics and troubleshooting #8: Asking for help

I setup a USB Filer on the guest with only the Name, VendorID and ProductID.

From a command line on the host, I executed the VBoxManage commands listed and attached the output (VBoxManage.txt inside IE6-WinXP...zip) to the first post.

I performed all five steps listed and attached the VBox.log in the zip file. Both log files were generated with the USB 1.1 (OHCI) Controller in settings.

I believe I have provided the "Minimum information needed for assistance". Some items in that post say "...information needed if asked to provide them.". If this information is needed, I will be glad to supply it.

Thank you for your time.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

USB:             enabled
EHCI:            disabled
XHCI:            disabled
Name:             PNY Technologies USB 2.0 FD [0100]
ThinkFast wrote:Both log files were generated with the USB 1.1 (OHCI) Controller in settings
Do you see the problem? The device is clearly identifying itself as USB2, you can't be using the USB1 controller.
ThinkFast wrote:Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.2)
Please update to the latest version of VirtualBox, 6.0.14 as of this writing.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ThinkFast

Post by ThinkFast »

Thanks for your reply. I changed the settings on the guest to the USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller, but Explorer still does not mount the USB key.
I upgraded VirtualBox to 6.0.14-1 33895-Win and reinstalled the Extention pack and the Guest Additions to match the Host version as you suggested, but still got the same result.
USB device handling was really not that great in WinXP, so I'm going to try this with a Win7 guest.
ThinkFast

Post by ThinkFast »

Host Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601, Available Physical Memory 20.5 GB
Guest Win7 Ent SP1 32-bit, 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601, Available Physical Memory 3.01 GB

IE11-Win7 Testing USB 2.0 on VirtualBox 6.0.14:
Using a Win7 guest, I changed the settings on the guest to the USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller.
Launched IE11-Win7. Software Drivers were installed (Intel 8280 USB Host Controller, Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller, USB Root Hub x2).
Then I installed VBox 6.0.14 Guest Additions and then rebooted. When the guest booted back up, I plugged in the USB 2.0 device.
USBDeview shows the driver is VBoxUSB.SYS and shows the USB device is connected.
When I highlight the USB icon in the bottom right corner of the guest window, is says "No USB devices attached".
I removed the USB device and shutdown the guest. Then I saved the VBox.log file and captured the VBoxManager commands. I'm out of ideas again.
The attached zip file contains VBoxManage_Win7.txt and IE11 - Win7-2019-10-31-17-14-54.log

Thanks in advance for your time.
Attachments
IEWIN7.zip
The attached zip file contains VBoxManage_Win7.txt and IE11 - Win7-2019-10-31-17-14-54.log
(35.46 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you try with another device? A simple USB stick?

PS. You tend to have a barrage of information in every post of yours. Please focus on the important ones. I don't need to know about your available memory, or if you installed the Guest Additions, they're both unrelated. Too much information; the key ones get lost in the noise...
ThinkFast

Post by ThinkFast »

Testing SD U3 Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 on IE11-Win7 guest.

The results of the SD U3 Cruzer Micro were exactly the same results as the previous PNY USB 2.0 Key.

The attached file (IEWIN7-[SD-U3-Cruzer].zip) contains VBoxManage_Win7-[SD-U3-Cruzer].txt and IE11 - Win7-2019-11-02-13-05-52.log
Thanks in advance for your time.
Attachments
IEWIN7-[SD-U3-Cruzer].zip
(33.02 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This guest log shows cold start to shut down, and you have the correct Extension Pack installed, good.
00:00:01.732489 VirtualBox VM 6.0.14 r133895 win.amd64 (Oct 10 2019 19:44:31) release log
00:00:01.778997   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 6.0.14 r133895; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
The 'showvminfo' output shows a USB filter with some settings:
USB Device Filters:

Index:                       0
Active:                      yes
Name:                        SanDisk Corporation U3 Cruzer Micro [0010]
VendorId:                    0781
ProductId:                   5406
Revision:
Manufacturer:
Product:
Remote:                      0
Serial Number:
However, the log does not seem to show any attempt to plug in a USB device. Nor does the 'list usbhosts' show any Sandisk Cruzer device present.

So we don't have the ability to check your filter against what the device reports itself as, and we don't see any attempt by you to use the device.

Please make logs and command posts pertinent to the situation. I'm sure the USB tutorial covers this....

Yes it does:
USB tutorial Step 8 wrote:with the USB device plugged in and the VM not running, post the output of the following commands.
a log from a cold_start / login / plug_USB / unplug_USB / complete_shutdown cycle:
2. After you've logged in, plug the USB device.
You seem to have got the "VM not running" part. But the rest is lacking.

Try it again, this time carefully following step 8.
ThinkFast

Post by ThinkFast »

Sorry about that. I re-ran the VBoxManage list usbhost with the USB device attached and updated that section of the log file.

Although, I believe the guest log was correct, I re-ran it anyway. Still got the exact same result.

The attached file (IEWIN7-[SD-U3-Cruzer]-2.zip) contains VBoxManage_Win7-[SD-U3-Cruzer]-2.txt and IE11 - Win7-2019-11-06-17-27-48.log
Attachments
IEWIN7-[SD-U3-Cruzer]-2.zip
(33.39 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Everything seems in order, minus the fact that I do not see in the log any USB device insertion. If you did insert the device after the VM started, and after you've logged in, that fact is not reflected in the VBox.log.

Which leads to the conclusion that something might be grabbing the USB device, before VirtualBox has a chance to. What other software do you have installed on your Host that might be doing this? It may be something that's not that obvious...

For example I have OpenHardwareMonitor, for monitoring temperatures/fans on my system. I would have never thought that it would grab/lock the USB HDs, just to report their temperature... ;)
ThinkFast

Post by ThinkFast »

I removed three programs that I thought might be interfering back when I was testing the WXP guest. I don't see anything on the Host or the Guest that would cause an issue. The USBDeview program shows that VBoxUSB.sys has control of the device while plugged into the guest.

I'm attaching jpgs (Resized) of the W7 Host Installed Programs, W7 Guest Installed Programs, and USBDeview (running on host) info about the SD U3 Cruser Micro while connected to W7 Guest.
Attachments
IEWIN7-Programs and USBDeview.zip
(224.13 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ThinkFast wrote:I'm attaching jpgs (Resized) of the W7 Host Installed Programs
You're really putting a strain in my eyes, seriously now, can you actually read that? :roll:

The only one that I see is (if I'm reading it correctly), "Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver". I don't know what this is, or what's it doing...
ThinkFast wrote:I'm attaching jpgs ... and USBDeview (running on host)
And what do I see there? That you have mounted the USB-stick as "P:\, W:\"?
Is the USB-stick mounted as a drive on your Host?
ThinkFast

Post by ThinkFast »

socratis wrote:
ThinkFast wrote:I'm attaching jpgs (Resized) of the W7 Host Installed Programs
You're really putting a strain in my eyes, seriously now, can you actually read that? :roll:
Sorry about that. Attachments are limited to 256KB, so I had to resize the bigger ones. I am including the original this time.
socratis wrote:The only one that I see is (if I'm reading it correctly), "Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver". I don't know what this is, or what's it doing...
My motherboard has an Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller which has 2 ports. When I run these tests, I'm using a USB 2.0 port.
socratis wrote:
ThinkFast wrote:I'm attaching jpgs ... and USBDeview (running on host)
And what do I see there? That you have mounted the USB-stick as "P:\, W:\"?
That USB device has an audio file on it and Windows mounts it separately. Unfortunately, Windows keeps a history of a device and mount points even when it is not mounted.
socratis wrote:Is the USB-stick mounted as a drive on your Host?
No. I have checked that during testing many times. That was when I connected it to the host to setup the filter in the guest configuration.

I also tried to enable the USB 3.0 controller on the guest and load the same driver that is loaded on the host, on the guest, but Device Manager indicates the driver is incorrect. So I have no way use USB 3.0 instead. The USB 2.0 controllers on the guest have no driver issues listed.
Attachments
W7 Host Installed Programs.zip
(159.18 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

ThinkFast wrote:I also tried to enable the USB 3.0 controller on the guest
This is a good idea, according to the USB tutorial. The USB3 implementation is supposed to be better than 2 or 1.
ThinkFast wrote:load the same driver that is loaded on the host, on the guest,
This is a bad idea, because the guest does not see the host hardware. The guest only sees the Virtualbox simulated hardware. Thus:
ThinkFast wrote:Device Manager indicates the driver is incorrect.
Take a good look at the tutorial again. There's a point about what USB3 driver to load on Windows XP & 7 guests.
ThinkFast wrote:That USB device has an audio file on it and Windows mounts it separately
If this is happening while Virtualbox is attempting to use the device, this may be the interference.

I would recommend finding a basic USB thumb drive that has no special software or mountable audio files or anything else on it except a chunk of storage that will appear as only one drive letter in the host File Explorer, and that has never been plugged into this PC. Try the Virtualbox USB filer and tests per the tutorial with this virgin thumb drive.