Win10 Freezes

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Orange Group Tech

Re: Win10 Freezes

Post by Orange Group Tech »

Yes, this might be one possibility. Too much and too little system resources for the VM is no good. When you allocate too much system resources to the VM, it might go to Guru Meditation if you don't have enough system resources left for the host. Your host may crash too (that's what happened when I allocated too much RAM than I could to the VM). Try to allocate 4GB of RAM to the VM if your system resources allow that. Don't give it 8GB or 16GB RAM, as this might cause jams in both host and guest systems, like what @scottgus1 says. :)

Sorry, the quoted URLs have been removed by me.

Sorry for the late reply due to the time difference. :)
ucrasher
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP,Win7,various Linux

Re: windows 10 guest VM freezes

Post by ucrasher »

Hi,
same here, I had openen a thread in "Windows Guests".
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95024
Thanks, ucrasher.
ucrasher

Post by ucrasher »

I am not alone, there is another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=94979
Thanks, ucrasher.
ucrasher

Post by ucrasher »

Thanks Orange Group Tech for looking into this.

I had reduced CPUs to 3 after that log file.
Also tried VboxVGA and VboxSVGA. 3D support never worked reliable here.
The lock happens very infrequently and the new created VM seems to be better (but still experienced freeze).
The old WM (called Wina2) freezes a few minutes after its start. I reduced its memory size to 5GB (was 12).
Also tried reducing displays to 1 (had 2).
I didn't know Windows 10 had been around that long... :lol:
Well, that was on XP and Win7 :-)

And since it looked like the OS still runs, I will setup an SSH or WRD access to finally proof that (and being able to debug).

First step will be update to 6.0.14 from yesterday. Though the change notes do not mention anything like this.

PS: I removed the Lauchpad from autostart. New VM (Wina3) did not freeze since. But old Wina2 froze anyway.
Thanks, ucrasher.
jknapka

Post by jknapka »

I had a very similar problem. After upgrading my Ubuntu 18.04 host to VirtualBox 6.0.2, my Win10 guest, which had been stable for many months, started freezing frequently. Downgrading the host to VirtualBox 5.2 seems to have solved this; at least, I have had no guest freezes since the downgrade (11 days ago).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: windows 10 guest VM freezes

Post by socratis »

ucrasher wrote:same here, I had openen a thread in "Windows Guests".
Thanks for making it easier. Merging the two threads.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ucrasher

Post by ucrasher »

No freezes in the last 2..3 weeks (I do not exactly recall).
But yesterday it started again.

This could be a pattern but is still fuzzy.
Freezes when accessing a shared folder.
Thanks, ucrasher.
jknapka

Post by jknapka »

Complete VBox.log from my latest Win10 guest freeze attached. This is under VBox 6.14 on a host running Ubuntu 19.10.

I moved my Windows 10 guest from a Dell Optiplex host running Ubuntu 18.04 and VBox 5.2, to an HP laptop running Ubuntu 19.10 and VBox 6.14. I simply copied the entire guest directory - it was a copy, not a clone. It was fine for three days, but this morning the Win10 guest froze and took my whole Gnome shell with it - the Gnome UI was completely unresponsive to mouse and keyboard, except that I could move the mouse pointer. I could still Ctrl-Alt-F3 and get a text console, but I had to "kill <pid>" the PID of the VirtualBox guest session in order to recover.

I'm going back to VirtualBox 5.2. I had no freezes when running this same guest under that version.
Attachments
VBox-Win10-guest-freeze-Nov-8-2019.zip
VBox.log from frozen guest
(22.09 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
ucrasher

Post by ucrasher »

Hi,
turning off transparency effects in Win10 seems to fix it.
At least I could not duplicate it with tests (doing all what used to cause the freeze).
Thanks, ucrasher.