Install a Win7 Image to Upgrade to Win10.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Jerste

Install a Win7 Image to Upgrade to Win10.

Post by Jerste »

I've done a little searching and haven't found an answer for my question.

I have an image I created of the system I'm currently using. It has a number of programs I've written that work well in Win7 but haven't been tested in Win10 (and there's really no time for testing). I need to update the computer to Win10 but would like to create a VB on the same system for Win7. Essentially, I would like to load the image into a virtual machine on the same computer. The image currently resides in a flash drive and in a file on the desktop.

Does someone have a link to instructions for this?

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Install a Win7 Image to Upgrade to Win10.

Post by socratis »

Jerste wrote:I have an image I created of the system I'm currently using
What does it mean "an image"? What is the system you're currently using?
Jerste wrote:but would like to create a VB on the same system for Win7
To create a what of what? I'm sorry, I can't understand that part, can you elaborate?
Jerste wrote:Essentially, I would like to load the image into a virtual machine on the same computer
I think you're talking about a Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) conversion. The big question is what's the "image".
Jerste wrote:The image currently resides in a flash drive and in a file on the desktop.
Can you explain that again?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If my understanding if your question is right, you have a backup image of the windows 7 host PC you are using now. You want to make a virtual machine running your Windows 7 OS in Virtualbox. Then you can update your PC to Windows 10 and run your old Windows 7 in a Virtualbox guest.

As Socratis points out, this is called a P2V, for Physical to Virtual. Whether this will work with your Windows 7 depends on a few things:

You will at least need to reactivate. Depending on how long ago you originally activated, this may not be a problem. If your Windows 7 is a "retail" version instead of OEM, you should have no problems. Even OEM may squeeze through, if it's been a long time since previous activation. (OEM is not allowed to be moved to a different PC, according to the EULA. The virtual machine is a 'different PC', according to the lawyers. Read on for further issues.)

Is your PC a Dell or an HP or one of the other big PC manufacturers? And had they already installed Windows 7 on the PC when you got it? If so, your Windows 7 is likely OEM and furthermore locked to the PC's BIOS serial number & such, and getting it to run in a Virtualbox guest will be next to impossible. Virtualbox presents new "hardware" to the OS, including a new BIOS, and the activation checks will fail.

You have certain programs you want to keep running on Windows 7. Are these programs graphics-intensive, like 3D-rendered games & animation suites, that need a strong video card? If so, they will likely fail in the guest. You won't be able to use the host's video card in the guest, though you may be able to have some rendering help through 2D and 3D acceleration. Especially games don't work well in a virtual machine.

To read further on P2V's, google "P2V Windows 7 site:forums.virtualbox.org". Folks have done it, but it can be hard depending on the circumstances.

FWIW, dual-boot with two physical disks in the PC may be a viable option.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I agree with Scottgus, the OP is clearly asking about retaining a P2V'd VM of the Win7 host. The host will then be upgraded to Windows 10.

In that light I'd just like to clarify that you probably will not be able, at least not in the long term, to use the same license on two PCs, which applies even if one of the PCs is virtual.

Win7 when moved to new (virtual) hardware will lose activation. It will need to be reactivated, and the license will then be assigned to the VM.

For the host, what I'd do is get a brand new Win10 key and install it from scratch - it gives you a chance to clear out all the crud. If you are determined to do an upgrade, I would start (after creating the VM), by changing the host product key to a new compatible one, then you can upgrade without invalidating the VM license and activation.

Or, don't activate the VM. I think that gives you about a month to stop using it: a Microsoft forum would give you better advice on Windows licensing in that scenario.