[WorksForMe] Windows XP Network Adapter Driver

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Tandy80

[WorksForMe] Windows XP Network Adapter Driver

Post by Tandy80 »

I'm trying to connect Windows XP Professional to my Wi-Fi on VirtualBox, but the Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP Final Release link from Intel that everyone directs to is broken.
(I would post the link for what I'm talking about, but I'm a new member. I can link to it later if this is confusing anyone)

Does anyone know where I could get a network adapter driver that would be compatible with Windows XP Professional on VirtualBox?
Last edited by socratis on 3. Oct 2019, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows XP Network Adapter Driver

Post by socratis »

Tandy80 wrote:I'm trying to connect Windows XP Professional to my Wi-Fi on VirtualBox
VirtualBox does not present a WiFi card to the guest, only the suggested Ethernet cards from the template. Also, VirtualBox does not use your real hardware, only virtual hardware. You should stick to the defaults as suggested from the templates, in this case the "Intel PRO/1000 T Server" and stick with the default "NAT", unless you have something specific in mind.
Tandy80 wrote:but the Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP Final Release link from Intel that everyone directs to is broken.
You should not need extra drivers. WinXP comes with drivers for the Intel card I just mentioned. You should have to do nothing at all to get it working...
Tandy80 wrote:Does anyone know where I could get a network adapter driver that would be compatible with Windows XP Professional on VirtualBox?
See above...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

XPnet.PNG
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Tandy80 wrote: but the Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP Final Release link from Intel that everyone directs to is broken.
(I would post the link for what I'm talking about, but I'm a new member. I can link to it later if this is confusing anyone)
Well I for one would be interested in seeing an example of someone recommending an Intel NIC driver download for a VirtualBox XP VM, because I don't recall that ever happening.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

For a period of time I was under the impression that the Pro/1000 gigabit network adapters would work better in my XP guests than the default 100mbit PCnet Fast III's. I thought the Pro/1000 MT Desktop was the right one, and had to install Intel drivers for that card in the guest (transferred via Guest Additions Shared Folders) to get the card to work.

Then I found out that XP had built-in drivers for the Pro/1000 T or MT Server (can't remember which) and stopped using the MT Desktop & external driver download.

Then I found out the card m/gbit type didn't matter, and that the network data would come as fast as it could come to the physical host PC, and I stopped bothering with what card to use.

No links led me to this situation, just my own bumbling.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:XP had built-in drivers for the Pro/1000 T or MT Server (can't remember which)
The template for a WinXP guest has the "Intel PRO/1000 T Server" set as default because WinXP has built-in drivers for it.

There are no built-in drivers for the "Intel PRO/1000 MT Server" for a WinXP guest. In fact, the only guests that have that as their suggested default are the OSX guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tandy80

Post by Tandy80 »

mpack wrote:Well I for one would be interested in seeing an example of someone recommending an Intel NIC driver download for a VirtualBox XP VM, because I don't recall that ever happening.
In guides on how to connect Windows XP to Wi-Fi in VirtualBox, they always tell you to download some driver from Intel. (this one, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6r-2EdC30c) I'm pretty confused at this point on how to connect at all, since I'm now seeing people saying I don't need to install any driver.

Apologies to everyone in this thread, I'm new to using VirtualBox.
Last edited by socratis on 3. Oct 2019, 02:51, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Tandy80 wrote:I'm pretty confused at this point on how to connect at all
Let us know what you want to achieve and we'll tell you how to set up the network. What do you want the guest OS to talk to? Just internet? The host PC? Other PC's & services & printers on the network that your host PC is connected to?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tandy80 wrote:they always tell you to download some driver from Intel. This one, for example ...
That guy hasn't got a clue! Seriously now... He's somehow connecting his inability to access the Internet with a really old Internet Explorer to the fact that there are missing drivers! :shock:

See the sticky post "No internet for a WinXP/98/95 guest" in the "Windows Guests" area, to which I'm moving your post as well.
Tandy80 wrote:people saying I don't need to install any driver.
Yes, this is true. If you just create a default WinXP guest, you don't need to download or do anything, it works right out of the box.
Tandy80

Post by Tandy80 »

socratis wrote:See the sticky post "No internet for a WinXP/98/95 guest" in the "Windows Guests" area
This helped me figure it out, thank you so much!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Tandy80 wrote:(this one, for example: [on YouTube] )
Hmm. I rather hoped that "everyone" included at least one apparantly knowledgable source, for example a post (on this site of course) from a dev or a volunteer (anyone with >200 posts). I didn't mean offsite videos and text posts from random people with no known credentials.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote: I rather hoped that "everyone" included at least one apparently knowledgeable source
You're in an really optimistic mood today, right? :D

Forgot to mark this as [WorksForMe].