Can't attach USB to guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
soulvoid86

Can't attach USB to guest

Post by soulvoid86 »

Host: HP EliteBook 745 Gen 2 - Win10 Enterprise 64-bit - AMD A8 Pro-7150B R5 - 8GB memory - 120GB SSD
Guest: Win8.1 Enterprise 64-bit - 4GB memory assigned - 4 cores assigned - 60GB VHD

For some reason, this machine will not allow us to attach USB devices to the guest. We've tested the VM on an HP EliteBook 840 G2, Dell Latitude E6420, and a Dell Latitude E7470. The VM works perfectly on all 3 machines. However, when it's booted on the 745 machines, we cannot attach any USB device. At first, when a USB device is selected, it just won't do anything. If you try to attach a USB device again (either the same device or a different one) it will give an error that it's busy with another request. Error is below (scratch that, I can't attach image URLs as I'm a new member..)

We've tested this on 3 different HP 745's, all with a fresh install. We also tested with different Windows installs (Win10 Home installed via USB, instead of our WDS). So it's definitely something machine specific. The extension pack is installed and everything.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? Aside from disabling USB 3.0 on the host, we've tried everything. I don't see any settings in BIOS either that would cause this. Everything virtualization related is enabled (that I know of).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can't attach USB to guest

Post by scottgus1 »

soulvoid86 wrote:(scratch that, I can't attach image URLs as I'm a new member..)
You can attach image files from the first post, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. Crop & resize to get under the forum's 128kB size limit. PNG is best. Most gurus here don't go to 3rd-party sites when uploading is possible.

See USB basics and troubleshooting.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

soulvoid86 wrote:4 cores assigned
According to https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd- ... -radeon-r5, that's all four host cores in the guest. Reduce to 2 in the guest.
soulvoid86

Post by soulvoid86 »

Information from error screenshot:
Failed to attach the USB Device Intermec Mobile Computer to the virtual machine Win 8.1 test.

Details: USB device 'Intermec Intermec Mobile Computer' with UUID {id} is busy with a previous request. Please Try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {id}
Callee: IConsole {id}
soulvoid86

Post by soulvoid86 »

Sorry about that, I looked for an upload option but I guess I overlooked it. Attached. I will try reducing the core count as well. The guest is running updates at the moment..

[ModEdit: Removed superfluous screenshot, error is already in the previous post. Be more "green"...]
Last edited by socratis on 25. Sep 2019, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

One more thing, if it's just this machine, then it's likely you're doing things right but the OS itself is interfering. Are you sure that Virtualbox was installed properly, no "driver enforcement" or other such 3rd-party malware antivirus that rejected Virtualbox drivers?

Virtualbox often requires a right-click-Run-As-Administrator when installing on Windows hosts. Reinstall that way. Also make sure the Extension Pack version exactly matching the Virtualbox version is installed.
soulvoid86

Post by soulvoid86 »

scottgus1 wrote:
soulvoid86 wrote:4 cores assigned
According to (omitted), that's all four host cores in the guest. Reduce to 2 in the guest.
Reduced to 2 and then 1, same error.
soulvoid86

Post by soulvoid86 »

scottgus1 wrote:One more thing, if it's just this machine, then it's likely you're doing things right but the OS itself is interfering. Are you sure that Virtualbox was installed properly, no "driver enforcement" or other such 3rd-party malware antivirus that rejected Virtualbox drivers?

Virtualbox often requires a right-click-Run-As-Administrator when installing on Windows hosts. Reinstall that way. Also make sure the Extension Pack version exactly matching the Virtualbox version is installed.
As far as I know, it was configured properly. I did everything the same (even used the same VBox and Extension installer(network share)) on every machine. Each machine is running the same version of Windows 10 installed from our WDS (except during testing as I stated above). No errors about drivers enforcement except the normal message when installing VBox, but I always allow that and make VBox a trusted source. I don't believe our Symatec is blocking it, because it does the same thing with the test Win10 installed from USB. No third party apps were installed with that test, except VBox.

Installers used:
VBox 6.0.10-132072
Extension Pack 6.0.10

I will try creating a fresh VM from this machine and see what happens. I did create this VM from my E7470, so it's possible that's causing issues.
soulvoid86

Post by soulvoid86 »

I just tried booting with Driver Enforcement disabled on both the host and the guest, but the same error occurs. I'm going to try making a fresh VM now.

Note; there's nothing install on this VM except Chrome. This is just Windows running in the guest. All this is being used for is gathering data files from old handheld scanners that don't work with Win10. The machine won't even have network access.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Don't forget the tutorial, that could tell us something.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

'scottgus1' already pointed you to a thread, USB basics and troubleshooting. Read it again, all of the posts.

A couple of points:
  • The number of CPUs has absolutely nothing to do with the USB problems, that was just a suggestion by 'scottgus1' to actually improve the performance of your VM.
  • The antivirus and other protection software usually wouldn't have resulted in a "Busy with a previous request" error. If it does (doubt it), reinstalling the VM won't get you any further.
  • If you don't need direct, raw access to the USB, consider the Shared Folders option.
  • It's usually easier, more convenient, smaller size, searchable and quotable, if you use that "Copy" button in the error dialog, and simply paste the error text, instead of posting the image...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
soulvoid86

Post by soulvoid86 »

I have already tried using that guide. That was the first result on my initial Google search.. nothing in there made any difference.

Guide Results:
  1. I understand USB sharing. This is happening with all USB devices, even just mice.
  2. I have tried using a USB filter, though On-the-fly is what the user would be using. Neither work.
  3. Categories is kind of irrelevant here because it's all USB devices. Said devices work in the VM on other machines, as stated.
  4. Again, I tried using USB filters, but it's kind of irrelevant has it's happening with ALL devices.
  5. I'm receiving Busy with a previous request - This is happening because VBox is attempting to take control of the device but is failing. So nothing else is taking control of the device.
  6. I've tried this on USB 1, 2 and 3. All to the same result. Again, this was also tested across multiple machines.
  7. As for troubleshooting, you can see above that I've tried all of the basics like shutdown, driver enforcement, etc. None of these are USB 3 devices, so support shouldn't be an issue. I've ensured that the USB driver is working properly, because it works on all other machines using the same exact installer file from a network share.
Your Points:
  1. I figured CPU count wouldn't matter, but I'm trying to be a nice guy and do as I'm told.. Even though the host only has 4 threads, I can bump it up to 8 and it still runs.. irrelevant though..
  2. Again, I understand that, just trying to do as told so I'm not getting ripped apart for ignoring people..
  3. The VM needs direct access. The USB device in question isn't supported by Win10, that's the whole reason for this VM. Files need to be pulled from the USB device and uploaded to a server. This can only be done through USB.
  4. As for me posting a screenshot and not text, I was using remote support, and we have clip board disabled. I had to use snipping tools from my machine.. sorry.. :roll: New to the forum..
I will gather the info in post #8 of the USB troubleshooting and post my findings.. in text format..
soulvoid86

Post by soulvoid86 »

Info from step 8 of the guide attached.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(30.24 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

One thing I see that I have always done to get a USB device to go into a guest and that's missing on this guest: "vboxmanage showvminfo "Win 8.1 test"" shows:
USB Device Filters:

<none>
While it may be possible to get a USB device to go into the guest by just selecting the device from the USB symbol dropdown, it is more reliable to place a USB filter in the guest settings. Perhaps on this host the USB devices all get picked by the host OS? Try a USB filter per the tutorial.
soulvoid86

Post by soulvoid86 »

Try a USB filter per the tutorial.
I just tried once again, same issue.