Failed to delete the snapshot Snapshot 1 of the virtual machine

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
kingjacob280

Failed to delete the snapshot Snapshot 1 of the virtual machine

Post by kingjacob280 »

Failed to delete the snapshot Snapshot 1 of the virtual machine Windows 10 ToCopy.

Hard disk 'D:\Users\kingj\VirtualBox VMs\Windows 10 ToCopy\Snapshots\{98f158d3-9a45-4e49-bf5e-41776b862527}.vdi' has more than one child hard disk (2).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
Also I am getting errors while taking a snapshot of the running VM.

Version 6.0.10

only uploaded part of the log file as the full one is too big, if needed I can make a google drive link.

[ModEdit: Partial VBox.log removed]
Last edited by socratis on 18. Sep 2019, 22:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Failed to delete the snapshot Snapshot 1 of the virtual machine

Post by multiOS »

Part logs only provide part of the information that might be needed are only likely to produce part answers :D

'Zip' the full log and that should allow you to attach the whole thing
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

kingjacob280 wrote:vdi' has more than one child hard disk (2)
Googling "has more than one child hard disk site:forums.virtualbox.org" takes me to this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49019#p222785
mpack wrote:"More than one hard disk" means you have a branching snapshot structure, something like this :-

A---- First child of A (A1)
|
+---- Second child of A (A2)

You can't delete A without splitting into two independent VMs, and VBox currently can't do that.

This would have happened if at some point after creating A1 you restored (not reverted) the "A" state and then booted the VM. That would implicitly have created the 2nd child of A.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The VBox.log isn't relevant in this case, because you're not getting the error at runtime, you're getting the error while you're trying to delete a snapshot.

What's important in this case is the recipe of the VM, the ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Explorer". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.