Direct3D does not work on XP guest with SVGA

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Dust Signs

Re: Direct3D does not work on XP guest with SVGA

Post by Dust Signs »

I already tried to do this, but I cannot even set the adapter type to SVGA for the XP guest. It shows a warning message, and if I continue anyway, 3-D acceleration as a whole is disabled.
I think I might be stuck with 6.0.12 for this particular machine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:You will need to uninstall Guest Additions in the guest, shut down the guest, change the video card to VboxSVGA, turn on 3D acceleration, start the guest (in safe mode with XP), install 6.1.0 Guest Additions with 3D on.
Not with XP you don't. There are two sets of drivers for Windows, the XPDM (XP Driver Model) and the WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model). The latter is for Windows≥7, hence the differentiation in the manual. The XPDM model which is used by Win<7 doesn't have 3D support in 6.1.x yet.
scottgus1 wrote:The "Windows 7" crossover point means that the above switching instructions may still not get 3D in an XP guest.
Exactly. The 3D support for WinXP doesn't exist anymore. If you want 3D support for WinXP, you should stick with 5.2.x or 6.0.x.
Dust Signs wrote:I think I might be stuck with 6.0.12 for this particular machine.
There's already 6.0.14 out there, and there are going to be plenty of updates. I wouldn't worry about that. My gut feeling tells me that by the time that 6.0.x is not supported anymore, the developers may have found the time to implement 3D support for the XPDM drivers.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
johndexterdueno56

Post by johndexterdueno56 »

I get into the safe mode then install the Guest Additions, after restart doesn't work. Help me how to fix this.
VBoz

Post by VBoz »

I don't understand if it's relevant here but if you need Microsoft Windows XP and good Direct3D support you may want to try to go back to VirtualBox 5.2.40 that had good support to it for Microsoft Windows XP guests.

Source on this forum:

/viewtopic.php?t=98113

(Sorry I have not enough reputation to share URLs)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm going to lock this old topic, since there is nothing more to add.

As discussed above, 3D acceleration for XP guests was dropped in VirtualBox 6.1.0 and later.