Windows graphics problems - black boxes, no text...

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DAH

Windows graphics problems - black boxes, no text...

Post by DAH »

Hi,

Since a recent Windows update the graphics in the guest system fails:
  • When I hover with the mouse over the icons in the task bar, the background becomes black.
  • The background in the start menu flickers from black to transparent. Sometimes parts are black and sometimes they are transparent.
  • Notifications fail to show content.
  • In office, I literally can't see anything. It's all white. System notification boxes/prompts are functional, but I cannot see the content.
  • Menus are gone - just a black box remains.
... Notably, my Adobe software on the guest is fine and doesn't have the problem. It is just the OS itself and Microsoft software.

I see this on two host systems (CentOS 7.6) with the same windows guest image/installation, VirtualBox 6.0.12.
I haven't re-installed the guest system yet. Has somebody else had this problem before?

How can I fix this?

Thanks!
Attachments
bug.png
bug.png (102.55 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
knutjb

Re: Windows graphics problems - black boxes, no text...

Post by knutjb »

I have the same problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DAH

Post by DAH »

Sorry for the late response.

I attached the log file.

Thank you!
Attachments
windows10lab-2019-09-28-17-51-48.log.zip
(43.38 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Your configuration looks fine, except the odd 200 MB VRAM, how come you didn't max it out at 256 MB VRAM?

Given the fact that the VBoxSVGA is rather new, I would keep on trying the latest test builds. Sign here for updates...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DAH

Post by DAH »

Thanks for having a look at the log file.

I found the issue. I reinstalled the system and the new system was fine initially, but as soon as I enabled the 3D acceleration (Settings>Display>Screen) the problem came back. 2D Video acceleration is fine, but there is a problem with the 3D acceleration.
As soon as I disabled this function in the old VM, the problem disappeared.

@knutjb: Please can you check whether this fix also works for you?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DAH wrote:but as soon as I enabled the 3D acceleration (Settings>Display>Screen) the problem came back
Yes, that's a known workaround, but you might be missing some functionality...
DAH

Post by DAH »

Well, that might be, but of what use is the functionality when I can't see anything? ;-)

... So this is a known bug?
knutjb

Post by knutjb »

It worked when I disabled 3D acceleration and I can see what inside word's windows.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DAH wrote:So this is a known bug?
Yes, several. See for example #18966, a duplicate of #18956. As I previously stated about trying the latest test builds, from comment 2 of #18966:
sunlover wrote: Please try the latest test build 6.0.x revision 133688 ( https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds ). It includes some fixes for the VBoxSVGA adapter.