Are VboxSVGA and VMSVGA ready to replace VboxVGA?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
wroot

Re: Are VboxSVGA and VMSVGA ready to replace VboxVGA?

Post by wroot »

Well, in the message it says it will be deprecated in 6.1.0. And we are currently on 6.0.x branch. Not sure how soon 6.1 is on the roadmap.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

wroot wrote:Well, in the message it says it will be deprecated in 6.1.0
Plus, it's the VBoxVGA+3D that's going to be gone, not the VBoxVGA part...
recluce wrote:I am not the only one how might not read thoroughly enough.
Yes, you're absolutely right, I stand corrected.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Just to clarify, that VMSVGA does not work in a Windows guest - at least not in my configuration :(
If VMSVGA is selected, the guest reverts to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
Installing the Guest Addition in the VMSVGA mode fails - see log.
Tested with 6.0.12 and various Windows guests.
Attachments
Guest error log.zip
(903 Bytes) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@jorgensen
There seems to be a reading comprehension problem on this thread, including myself...

VMSVGA is for Linux guests, read the thread from the beginning. I'm not even going to look at your log, it's going to be a waste of time... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
helgo1506

Post by helgo1506 »

I hope VBoxVGA stays in general (i dont care about the 3D acceleration though. Perhaps only cause i cant play old 3D Games in Windowx XP VM anymore, because in newer Windows this games dont worked (not even with Wine3D libs :roll: )
But i had some only Windows like 2000 or even NT 4.0 running. Would be sad if i cant use them with a "little" graphic performance :D
But in general the new graphic controllers work. VMSVGA for Linux and VBoxSVGA for Windows Vista+. I just got some problems with the VMSVGA on some Linux. On most Kernels, it dont work. Only on Debian and Ubuntu (Ubuntu with 19.04 only though, dont know why not on 18.04. perhaps cause my 18.04 VM is 32bit? Dont know if i do something wrong with other linux like ArchLinux or RedHat based kernels...
Shareef_Naeem9

Post by Shareef_Naeem9 »

Hello,

Can anyone help me because I have VirtualBox version 6.1. I read that VBoxSVGA only supports Windows 7 and later properly, but it is the only driver that can support 3D acceleration and I have a Windows Vista virtual machine on VirtualBox and I want to use 3D acceleration to use Windows Aero, but I have been using VBoxVGA for it and now that 3D acceleration has been discontinued for VBoxVGA, the only solution is to use VBoxSVGA with 3D acceleration, but it doesn't seem to work on Windows Vista. When the graphics installed after I enabled VBoxSVGA and 3D acceleration for Windows Vista, every time I restarted, the Windows Vista machine kept going into a loop of BSODs.

FYI, my host machine is Windows 10.

Can somebody please tell me how I can run Windows Vista using Windows Aero on VirtualBox successfully?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Shareef_Naeem9 wrote: Can somebody please tell me how I can run Windows Vista using Windows Aero on VirtualBox successfully?
You can revert to VirtualBox 6.0.x or earlier. No other solution exists.

This discussion is from 2019, VMSVGA and VBoxSVGA are much more stable now. So I'm going to lock this topic. Create a new topic if you want to discuss current problems.