Upgraded my VB 2 v6.0.12, but XP guest VM warns me about its 3D acceleration support being removed.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

Upgraded my VB 2 v6.0.12, but XP guest VM warns me about its 3D acceleration support being removed.

Post by ant »

"This VM is configured to use 3D acceleration using the VBoxVGA graphics controller. Support for this will be removed with version 6.1.0. ALL saved states and snapshots will cease to work when using this configuration. Either switch to the VBoxSVGA (or VMSVGA) graphics controller and update guest additions, or disable 3D acceleration."

I cannot seem to figure out how to disable this 3D acceleration and change drivers (uninstall and reinstall keeps finding Virtual VGA). What am I missing? I already upgraded its guest additions (without Direct3D acceleration). This was in my decade old Debian Jessie v8 host (2 GB of RAM).

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Upgraded my VB 2 v6.0.12, but XP guest VM warns me about its 3D acceleration support being remov

Post by socratis »

XP guest VM warns me about its 3D acceleration support being removed.
It *will* be removed at some *future* VirtualBox version. Nothing bad is going to happen any time soon. Speaking of...
ant wrote:and hopefully answering soon
Soon? Why soon? Did you see any signs of 6.1 coming out? Are you going to upgrade any time... soon?

Read the message again. This is a forward looking statement for the combination of VBoxVGA+3Dacceleration for 6.1.x, which is not even on the radar yet, not even a beta exists. AND it talks about saved-states and snapshots. Are you using these features? Please don't panic and don't spread the panic unnecessarily, VirtualBox warnings can do that fine on their own... ;)
ant wrote:I cannot seem to figure out how to disable this 3D acceleration
VM Settings » Display » Screen » Enable 3D acceleration: uncheck that.

Or even better, VM Settings » Display » Screen » Graphics Controller: set it to VMSVGA for Linux guests, or VBoxSVGA for Windows guests.
ant wrote:and change drivers
You do not need to change drivers. The same VBoxGuestAdditions will suffice. You don't even have to re-install them (in theory), but it never hurt anyone if you do (in practice).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

Re: Upgraded my VB 2 v6.0.12, but XP guest VM warns me about its 3D acceleration support being remov

Post by ant »

Thanks and perfect. I didn't know those settings existed. I do use the snapshots a lot.
Last edited by socratis on 5. Sep 2019, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.