No internet access for Guest Windows XP in VirtualBox Version 6.0.10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Piers

No internet access for Guest Windows XP in VirtualBox Version 6.0.10

Post by Piers »

This seems to be a well trodden path but I have been unable to find a solution that works for me so far.

I have recently installed VirtualBox Version 6.0.10 on my W10 PC (it incorporates the Spring 2019 Update). Everything is working successfully, including accessing the CD/ROM drive and USB, but not internet access.

I have managed to install Firefox v. 43.0.1 by downloading it onto my W10 hard drive and then copying it to the XP virtual drive. It opens just fine but cannot access the internet. I have tried all the Network options (including NAT and Bridged Adapter) but nothing makes any difference. The Network icon in the bottom righthand corner of the Guest screen shows that the Adapter is connected.

Can anyone suggest anything please? I am not a computer expert!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No internet access for Guest Windows XP in VirtualBox Version 6.0.10

Post by mpack »

Use NAT plus a modern browser. After that it won't be a VirtualBox problem.

If you still can't work it out then we need a VM log. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here. It might be a good idea to include the settings file in the zip as well.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No internet access for Guest Windows XP in VirtualBox Version 6.0.10

Post by scottgus1 »

Also see No internet for a WinXP/98/95 guest. Contains tests & an XP-compatible browser link that may work.