Copied Win10 Guest VM to New Host and getting BSoD (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
emcdell

Copied Win10 Guest VM to New Host and getting BSoD (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO)

Post by emcdell »

I have a new host system and 4 guest VM.
When I copied the 4 guests to the new host (drag and drop across the LAN), 2 Windows 10 guest systems BSoD while a Linux and another Win10 guest system boot right up with no errors.
The Guests are 1 64bit Ubuntu, 1 Windows 10 Pro 64bit "hobby pc" and 2 Windows 10 Pro 64bit "work pc".
VirtualBox 6.0.10 on host systems.

The 2 work pc start to boot up as typical and then BSoD with the error "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" with a QRC code.
The screen indicates it is doing a core-dump and then reboots. The next screen says it is diagnosing the PC and then it fails. The options are "Restart" and "Advanced Options"
If I select "Restart", the cycle repeats.
In "Advanced Options", trying to boot into Safe Mode (F5) fails and the cycle repeats.
But, I can get to the CMD prompt.
In the CMD, the "sfc/scannow" fails

I suspect (I hope) I have not found the BIOS setting on the new host system to enable some obscure Virtualization functionality in for the CPUs - but if it is there, I cannot find it. I've had to set options like this on Intel & AMD based machines before - but the Alienware BIOS is different from the Dell and older Phoenix I am used to seeing.

The Win10 hobby PC was created from a genuine MSDN Windows 10 Pro / Enterprise DVD and the 2 "work pc" were created with my company provided .ISO image.
The guest VMs were all originally created on a laptop:
Lenovo W530 Core i7-3740QM 2.7GHz (4 core) / 32GB RAM / 500GB SSD (C:\) + 1TB SSD (D:\) running Windows 7 64-bit.
NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 18341MB GMem.
Originally created the guests systems with VirtualBox 5.1.30r and upgraded regularly to 6.0.10.

After about 2 years of use, I recently reformatted the laptop's 500GB SSD with a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise / Pro Build 1908 from MSDN, installed VirtualBox 6.0.1 and all guest machines worked perfectly. The laptop is now running VB 6.0.10 and all 4 guests continue to run perfectly on the laptop.

The new host system:
Alienware Aurora R8, Core i7-8700 3.2GHz (12 core), 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD (C:\) / 2TB 7200RPM HDD (D:\) running Windows 10 Pro Build 1903.
NVIDIA GeForce RXT 2070

I copied the "Machines" folder from the laptop to the new host.
The first time it was across the LAN, but I also tried copying to/from USB disk.

While the 2 work pc guests are practically identical, there are differences between the "work pc" guests and the "hobby pc" guest.
One is that the hobby pc is Win10 Pro Build 1903 and the "work pc" are Win10 Pro Build 1709.
The other is the work pc's have some company provided software with media encryption enabled on the system disks.
The work pc will be upgraded to 1903 "soon" (Company's Group Policy forced upgrade).
But, the work pc guests work fine on the laptop, but fail to boot on the new host.

I uploaded the VBox.log from the last attempt at starting one of the work pc.
If more diagnostic / log files would help, please let me know where to find them and I will upload.
Thanks,
Attachments
corp-desktop2-Win10-2019-07-29-22-56-59.log
corp-desktop-win10.log file
(127.53 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
emcdell

Re: Copied Win10 Guest VM to New Host and getting BSoD (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO)

Post by emcdell »

Not to be a pain, but I have a little more detail:
In addition to the QRC and the BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO, the BSoD has text that states that it is saving a file d:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt (D:\ ??)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3o1 ... .13.46.png

After the BSoD, I selected the Advanced Options and opened the "Command Prompt"
The command prompt opens the DOS shell in the X:\windows\system32 (X:\ drive?!?) and I changed to "logfiles".
There is no "srt" directory on the X: drive, but there are some other folders that have new content with the extension ".xtl"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2l3 ... .35.29.png

There is also a D: drive. It seems to be a shadow of the X: drive - except the D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\SRT folder does exist and it has files
I cannot upload them - they are too large (> 2MB)
But, if anyone wants to take a look, they can be found on these links:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xb2 ... gfiles.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/0fd ... gfiles.zip

This is my first experience trying to debug Windows 10, so I don't know if changing drive letters is typical when you open the Command Prompt from Advanced Options.
In the past, I've moved the system disk to other drive letters. But is was complicated.
I know this system's system disk should be the C: drive (not the X: or the D: drive).
So, I don't know if this is significant

Also, I "fixed" the error message for the missing Picture and EMC mounts.

And, I know this guest's network is running in this mode (like "Safe Mode w/ Networking", but no GUI). I can mount my Win2012 server's SMB share using my AD username.

Thanks.
Attachments
corp_desktop_win10-2019-08-01-23-37-43.zip
Latest VBox.log file
(30.22 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
MontyMan
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Windows XP SP3, Haiku

Post by MontyMan »

I'm just learning the system myself, but I understand there's much more to moving a VM than just moving the VDI file. I believe there are three files, all of which are recommended to be kept in the same place. When you boot one of the affected VDIs in the old system, it still comes up with no error? And are you sure you copied all the viles, not just the VDI ones?
emcdell

Post by emcdell »

MontyMan wrote:I'm just learning the system myself, but I understand there's much more to moving a VM than just moving the VDI file. I believe there are three files, all of which are recommended to be kept in the same place. When you boot one of the affected VDIs in the old system, it still comes up with no error? And are you sure you copied all the viles, not just the VDI ones?
Thanks for the reply.
I think your logic would normally be on-target.

But...
- In the original post, I said that I copied and pasted the "Machines" folder from my laptop to the new host (1st using the network and 2nd with a USB attached SDD). That copied all the files needed for each guest.
- Also in the original post, I said that 2 of the 4 guests are working fine (an Ubuntu system and a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit). The problem-children are the 2 "work pc" systems.
- And, finally, as I said in the original post, all the guests continue to work fine (perfectly) on the original host system.
I'm pretty sure the issues you outlined are not causing this failure.

As an experiment;
- I copied one of the "work pc" guests to a USB 3.1 SSD from the original host.
- I added the "work pc" guest to the new host directly from the USB 3.1 attached SSD plugged into the new host -- and it failed (as it has been) when started.
- I moved the USB 3.1 SSD back to the original host, added it as a new guest and it booted perfectly.
So, the process of copying does not seem to be corrupting the .vdi file and the USB 3.1 SSD is fast (really fast, >400MB/s sustained for a 500GB file).

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You need to make sure that VT-x is turned on on the new host, and that Hyper-V is not on, as MS hogs VT-x and won't let the other children play. See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests Carefully go through each command in the 2nd & 3rd posts.

You can do an FC across the network, or do a hash on each file to confirm the copy actually worked.

Be sure the guests don't have a saved state. Changing hosts will not allow the saved state to work.

Also, you can post pictures & zipped logs using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. Forum gurus don't go to third-party sites for screenshots. Crop & resize to get under the forum 128kB size limit.
emcdell

Post by emcdell »

scottgus1 wrote:You need to make sure that VT-x is turned on on the new host, and that Hyper-V is not on, as MS hogs VT-x and won't let the other children play. See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests Carefully go through each command in the 2nd & 3rd posts.
Thanks for suggestions -
The option for "Enable Nested VT-x / AMD-V" is disabled (grayed out) on all the guest VM setups.
This is true when the guests are on the laptop host or the new host.
If there is a BIOS setting for VT-x that you are referring to, as I said in the original post, I've looked for the virtualization options in the BIOS - but cannot find any.
Basically, I assumed since the "hobby pc" (Windows 10 Pro 64bit) and the Ubuntu (Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS, 64bit) are running ok on the new host, I figured the virtualization option was either already enabled or not needed on the new host.

Hyper-V was never enabled on this system.
To verify, I opened the "Turn Windows features on or off" and confirmed that all Hyper-V check boxes are clear
While I use Hyper-V on my Win2008 R2 and Win2012 R2 systems, I only use VirtualBox on my smaller systems.
I only tried to run 2 hypervisors at the same time on the same system once. I've never tried it again.
scottgus1 wrote:You can do an FC across the network, or do a hash on each file to confirm the copy actually worked.
I used "copy & paste" (aka: Drag and Drop), robocopy & xcopy.
I used the network (to the shared folder in the new host) and I used a USB 3.1 1TB SSD.
For "grins" the MD5sum for the files on the old and new hosts matched after I did the copy.
scottgus1 wrote:Be sure the guests don't have a saved state. Changing hosts will not allow the saved state to work.
In the last 6 or 7 years that I've used VirtualBox, this would be the 1st time that 2 guest VM (out of 4 copied) corrupted when copied to the new host. Actually, if they are corrupted, it would be the first time ever.
I also used the Virtual Media Manager to make sure there were no "unneeded" .iso images, .vdi or anything else that were still on the list before I copied.
I don't use snapshots - I've had bad experiences with them (in general) and they complicate the portability of guests between hosts.
I never "Close" a guest - I always shut-down from the OS. There is no "Save State" for any guests I have running.
Although, I do like the new feature that Closes / Save State when the host is forced to shutdown - that's nice (but not the case here).

I get the impression that my concerns about the X: drive and D: drive (instead of a C: drive) while in Safe Mode are not relevant.
scottgus1 wrote:Also, you can post pictures & zipped logs using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. Forum gurus don't go to third-party sites for screenshots. Crop & resize to get under the forum 128kB size limit.
The DropBox links to the log files are from the Windows guests the don't boot. They can't be compressed to be <2MB. They may not be useful anyway. But, someone may want to DL them (just in case)
The VBox.log files are attached - they were small enough
I normally post screenshots in-line on a forum using Dropbox's "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" URL. This forum just displays a blank space where the pix is supposed to show up. They weren't critical.