How to install video capture card in virtual machine

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
sap777

How to install video capture card in virtual machine

Post by sap777 »

Hello.
I just installed a VM using the latest kit 6.0 in the following configuration + extension package:
- host: Win 7 64
- guest: Win 32 XP
My purpose is to make use of an old PCI TV card that only has Win XP drivers available: Leadtek Winfast PVR2000.
I have no prior experience with VM and that is why I'm kindly asking for your assistance: how can I make the card available for the guest machine?
Is this setup possible?
In Win 7 I can see it in Device Manager displayed with question marks but there is no trace of it in guest Win XP(please see comparison picture).

Thank you
Attachments
7vsXP.png
7vsXP.png (77.97 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to install video capture card in virtual machine

Post by scottgus1 »

Regrettably, PCI pass-through to a guest OS only works on a Linux host. And you'd get better throughput with that card in a physical PC rather than virtual.
sap777

Post by sap777 »

Thank you.
I wasted 2 days with preparation for VBox but at least now I know is time to take the next approach.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The clue is in the name. Virtual Machine == not physical hardware machine. That's a slight simplification, but IME people always struggle when they ignore that simple principle.

You should maybe look at dual booting instead, or perhaps get one of those teeny single board PCs - though you may struggle to get the 2002 XP Installer to work on modern hardware. A VM can still help you there: first you create a VM that emulates legacy hardware, and you install XP. Then you gradually bring the hardware up to modern specs, installing drivers as you go. Finally you run an imager such as Macrium Reflect Free or Acronis, and you transfer the working image to the target PC. It may still involve a bit of a fight though.
sap777

Post by sap777 »

Dual booting did it for me, thank you