USB lost after restart

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
doesullivan

USB lost after restart

Post by doesullivan »

I have an issue where I have lost my USB connected device to the Guest that was set up. I had a Win7 32bit guest running a BD Accuri mass spec device. The Host is a Win10 64 bit. After using the USB basics and troubleshooting from this forum, I was able to get the device to work and the lab was running water samples over the past couple of months. The last restart of the equipment, the device would not be seen by the Device Manager in Win7. I can't remember if it showed the last time as it was a while ago. I removed all filters from my USB settings and reset the device. It shows in the screen and the device is listed as Captured. I am wondering if the device has to have the driver installed on the Host even thought it is being "passed over" to the guest. I have included screen shots of the device information as well. I would love to understand why this happened and how to restore my device. Thanks
Attachments
Accuri 1.jpg
Accuri 1.jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Accuri 2.jpg
Accuri 2.jpg (37.7 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Accuri 3.jpg
Accuri 3.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB lost after restart

Post by scottgus1 »

doesullivan wrote:I removed all filters from my USB settings
This should not have been necessary. Did you try just unplugging and replugging the device?
doesullivan wrote:if the device has to have the driver installed on the Host even thought it is being "passed over" to the guest.
This is not necessary either. The host doesn't have to know anything about how to use the device.

An unplug/replug is often necessary when the host is restarted. I have also seen it where a USB device formerly working on a PC just simply refuses to register anymore for some reason and works just fine in another PC. Cosmic rays or something....

We will need a log of the guest, zipped, posted with the forum's Upload Attachment tab, showing a boot of the guest while the USB device is not plugged in, then when the guest boots up, plug in the device, then shut down the guest after a few minutes to give whatever needs to happen time to happen.

Keep in mind that if it is not necessary to include all those settings in the USB filter, the USB Basics and Troubleshooting recommends not filling them in, only VendorID & ProductID if possible.
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

I had a similar problem that I could not solve even by uninstalling and re-installling the VirtualBox software. I found, ultimately, that the problem for me was that the Windows uninstall command did not uninstall the Extension Pack folder which contains the USB connectivity. I had to go to the C:\ProgramFiles\ORACLE\VirturalBox sub-directory, after the uninstall, find the Extension Packs folder and delete all of those files manually. I ended up deleting the entire ORACLE folder in the C:\ProgramFiles\ directory prior to my complete re-install.

This fixed my problem. After a re-install of VirtualBox and WindowsXP, my USB peripheral worked fine. The Extension Pack files are apparently not being reset appropriately when a VM is deleted and replaced. I don't know if just deleting the Extension Pack files for re-installation would be enough if you have more than one VM installed. There is, however, apparently no .ini file or other file that holds secret information that stops this correction from being done. Hopefully, ORACLE will fix this reset problem in their next upgrade.

Mark
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Mark A. wrote:the Windows uninstall command did not uninstall the Extension Pack folder which contains the USB connectivity
The VirtualBox Windows installer deals with the VirtualBox part, not it's Extensions. When you installed VirtualBox there was no ExtPack installed (due to its license), you had to install it separately. The same logic applies, only backwards. If you want to uninstall all of the VirtualBox components, from the VirtualBox Preferences » Extensions you uninstall the existing ExtPacks (if any), and then you uninstall VirtualBox.

When you re-install VirtualBox, you should make sure that you update the optional components, like the ExtPack from Oracle.
Mark A. wrote:Hopefully, ORACLE will fix this reset problem in their next upgrade.
I don't think so, as I said, due to the ExtPack license.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.