Executing files from Shared Folders results in "The request is not supported."

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.

Executing files from Shared Folders results in "The request is not supported."

Postby DfDf » 28. May 2019, 20:38

I can observe unexpected behavior on latest VB 6.0.8
Host: Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise, x64
Guest Windows 10 2019 LTSC, x64
Guest additions: installed ( 6.0.8 )

Folder is being shared between guest and host as S:\ (guest) --> C:\ (host) with full access permissions (in VB settings)

User on host has admin privileges (UAC turned OFF). This user runs guest VM
User inside guest VM has admin privileges (UAC turned ON and set to default valiue).

Suppose i have an executable (or any ShellExecute-able file) in S:\Tmp\ (User on host has full access to this folder as C:\Tmp)
If this file requires elevation to run, the following is observed:
running it from process on guest that is NOT elevated results in "The request is not supported." (instead of being prompted for elevation)
running it from process on guest that IS already elevated results in success.

Important 1: guest has EnableLinkedConnections set to 1 in "HKLM\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System"
Important 2: there's also topic is about coping files in similar environment: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92830

Is this intended behavior?

Thanx in advance.
DfDf

Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Executing files from Shared Folders results in "The request is not supported."

Postby scottgus1 » 28. May 2019, 21:01

A real shared folder, shared through a Virtualbox network by the sharing operating system, should allow any functions that a real PC's OS should allow a shared folder to do.

Virtualbox's Guest Additions Shared Folders (GA SF's) are not real shared folders. No network is required, it's all done by the Virtualbox elves. GA SF's are only for copying files, not for running them. If you can run a .exe from a GA SF, be happy. If you can't, GA SF's weren't designed to let you.

FWIW, Windows does not like sharing the root of a drive. This could account for the permissions vs execution difference, but if this is a GA SF, you should be able to copy to the guest then run, but not necessarily run from the GA SF's source folder on the host. If this is a real shared folder through a Virtualbox network, and you can copy files correctly, then the Virtualbox network is working. Just like a real network, a Virtualbox network does not know or care what permissions a certain network activity has or does not have. The host & guest OS's are the deciding factors on what can run or can't under certain or other permissions. Virtualbox does not involve itself in permissions on a real or Virtualbox network.
Human government is like that crazy uncle who hides a quarter in his fist behind his back, then asks you to guess which fist the quarter is in...
No matter which side you choose, Left or Right, both Sides are empty.
scottgus1

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7

Re: Executing files from Shared Folders results in "The request is not supported."

Postby socratis » 28. May 2019, 23:00

Take a look at my response in the thread "Shared Folders work but can't run .exe on them".

Hint: this has nothing to do with Shared Folders and everything to do with the way that Microsoft is implementing this.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby DfDf » 29. May 2019, 12:22

socratis wrote:Take a look at my response in the thread "Shared Folders work but can't run .exe on them".

Thanx for deep explanation. This is clear, but sounds disappointing. Anyway, GA SF is a very useful thing anyway.
DfDf

Postby socratis » 29. May 2019, 15:20

DfDf wrote:This is clear, but sounds disappointing

The "funny" thing is that it's so by design. I'd like to meet the designer, I have a couple of words for them... ;)
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Postby DfDf » 29. May 2019, 20:38

Me too if we're talking about Microsoft's by design, right? :D
Last edited by socratis on 30. May 2019, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
DfDf

Postby socratis » 30. May 2019, 08:01

Yes, we are talking about Microsoft. The same Microsoft that had 43 people for the better part of a year just to "design the Start menu". :roll:
socratis
Site Moderator

Return to Windows Guests