Windows 7 OEM Activation

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tip32a

Windows 7 OEM Activation

Post by tip32a »

I have tried to search for this answer and but the search results deliberately leave the "7" out of the findings.

Has there been a definitive answer as to whether Windows 7 PRO OEM SP1 can or cannot be activated on a a VB VM?

If SO can someone please point to HOW?

Thank you..
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 7 OEM Activation

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that this is not a VirtualBox question, this is a Microsoft/OEM question.

But, I'll give you my 2¢; OEM licenses are tied to OEM hardware. If you're not using the OEM hardware (a VM doesn't have the OEM hardware), it's going to be a tough sell. Microsoft cut a deal with those OEMs for specific reasons, which don't apply in your case.

To tell you the truth, I'm surprised that you managed to install this thing in a VM. Unless you didn't and this is a theoretical question...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

As socrates said, it's an MS issue.

Came to say, why not try it? What have you got to lose? If it works, you're in, if it doesn't then just delete the VM.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The question is impossible for us to answer. None of us can guarantee that a random OEM install disk you have will actually install and activate, even on the intended hardware - which the VM isn't.

But as Rootman said, it is trivially easy (and free) to answer the question yourself!
tip32a

Post by tip32a »

First, thank you for all your replies.
I am not speaking about using a Dell or HP Restore Disk. I am speaking about a genuine purchased from Distribution Microsoft OEM Installation. My company is an authorized OEM System Builder. We used to( 7 isnt for sale any longer) purchase Lets say a MSI MB, Intel Proc, Mics RAM, HDD and chassis. Then use the OEM CD to install and slap the OEM COA sticker on the Chassis and presto our own branded PC. Microsoft gave tool sets to build out own custom installer with branding and any drivers we decided to include called system builder tools. But this is an optional step.

The CD installs just as the Retail version does. Then you find the additional drivers as needed from the vendors.

So I am not asking if an OEM CD can be used to install the OS I am only asking if the debate as to whether it is an allowable install platform.

As a selling point Windows 7 Home allowed no VMs.
Windows 7 Pro allowed 2 VMs
Windows 7 Ultimate allowed 4 VMs on the same hardware the OS was installed on.
They make no comment as to OEM, retail or VL and they did not specifically state only with Microsoft's VM platform (Hyper-V??)

Unfortunately. I have my VirtualBox software on a Windows 10 platform. THat was properly upgraded from 7 3 years ago.
So these are added variables.
Maybe it would have activated if I was on a 7 platform then VMed.
Just wondering if anyone has had success activating Windows 7 Professional OEM and under what conditions. What Host OS?
tip32a

Post by tip32a »

Hi Mpack,

I want to address the trivially easy statement.

First there would be almost no need for the forum if everything was trivially easy.

Second. I have been in the industry for 40 years and in MANY cases of banging my head against the wall when something verbatim states it will work, doesn't. Only to find out that if you uninstall update abc123xyz. the function works as expected. Or that MS or others released a little known tool or HOT fix that fixes the issue.

The other issues as I put in the initial post is the search terms.. Even dealing with MS server support. They have tried of charge 250.00 because the answer was published and when I asked them to show proof. they showed me Windows server 2011 Small Business Edition answer listed with the topic. "I am using WS11SBSR1 and am having this problem"... Only if I knew that the person posting the question used that abbreviation would I have been able to potentially find my answer. MS agreed and gave the refund. They even posted guidelines chowing preferred abbreviations. I have even seen posts edited by moderators that modify searchable terms.

Even on this forum I typed windows 7 OEM activation. The results state they omitted "7". 7 is critical.

Please all I am not looking for a free lunch here. Just if I missed the obvious and someone pointed me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Here is not the place to complain about MS support. Your complaints may be justified, they may not. Either way it is not our concern.

And it remains the case that none of us can tell you whether your Win7 install will activate. The only definitive answer will come from trying it. I can only tell you that I have never had a problem with non-branded OEM Windows installs. I rarely even try the branded ones (the only exception is a copy of Vista that came with a PC I bought once - which I wiped and replaced with a migrated XP image. Loath to waste a license I installed Vista in a VM and it worked fine).