Configure Win98 for DHCP addressing

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
UBotBuddy

Configure Win98 for DHCP addressing

Post by UBotBuddy »

Hello all!

If I'm in the wrong area PLEASE point me to the right sub-forum.

I'm looking for Help concerning internet access on a Win 98 SE guest. I found a couple of tutorials on this and I followed them but I am still hitting a wall.

I'm running Robolinux 10.4 Cinnamon and all of the guest that I have setup are working great with the exception of Win 98 SE, Win Me, and Win 95.

Within my adapter 1 my settings are as follows the Adapter type is to PCnet-PCI II (Am79C970A), Promiscuous Mode set to Deny, and Cable Connected set to On. I have tried these on NAT, NAT Network, and Bridged Adapter.

Under normal circumstances I would not give these older OSes a thought but I actually provide support for some companies that need backwards compatibility to internal company workflows on their older hardware.

At this point, I am thinking it could be my actual network card. So I'm wondering if I install an older secondary or third network card possibly 3Com or something that NDIS was compatible with that might make a difference.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any comments.

Buddy
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Configure Win98 for DHCP addressing

Post by socratis »

What do you mean "no Internet"?

I think that your problem is similar to "No internet for a WinXP guest". Read it and see if it fits your problem...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
UBotBuddy

Post by UBotBuddy »

@socratis

Thanks for the reply.

Honestly, I hadn't made it that far with the browser BUT it is something I had not considered so your suggestion is duly noted.

In retro spec I should been more clear. My TCP settings were not being loaded.

I had read some place that the dial-up adapter was needed for pulling in DHCP info. So that was where I was stuck.

I was able to statically load the settings last night but my ideal situation would be to loaded automatically when I am at a client site.

Thanks

Buddy
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

UBotBuddy wrote:I was able to statically load the settings last night
So, that mean that VirtualBox's work is done.
UBotBuddy wrote:but my ideal situation would be to loaded automatically
That would be a "How to configure Win98", not VirtualBox. Take a look at the Windows Guests HowTo section, you may find something relevant.
UBotBuddy wrote:at a client site
Your clients still use Win98? :shock:
What are you visiting, DOOM ][ conventions? :)

I wish I could help you with the configuration, but it's been too many years since I've seen Win98, I never actually had to deal with them, I was NT from the beginning. Check the HowTo section, or someone else with better expertise on the subject can help you.

PS. I changed your title from "NAT, NAT Network, Bridged Adapter Oh My!" to "Configure Win98 for DHCP addressing", to better attract other helper users.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
UBotBuddy

Post by UBotBuddy »

LOL...Doom. I actually play the old Doom on my Raspberry Pi setup. Too funny.

Actually, I have two customers that pay me to keep their Win 98 computers operational. Their computers run a custom built application for interfacing to a manufacturing machine.

The network adapter that I changed was inside of Win 98.

No problem on the Title change.

I'll check out that links!

Buddy
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BTW, moving this from "Linux Hosts" to "Windows Guests", much more suited audience...
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

For my Windows 98SE guest I have the networking set as Intel PRO/1000MT Desktop bridged to the wired interface in my iMac. Intel's driver download says there are drivers available for Windows 98, 98SE and Me.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:For my Windows 98SE guest I have the networking set as Intel PRO/1000MT Desktop
Why? Aren't the defaults working? And how are you going to get the Intel drivers installed?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:Why? Aren't the defaults working?
No idea! There was probably some issue or other getting the default adapter to work but I can't remember that far back, I have slept several times since then!
socratis wrote:And how are you going to get the Intel drivers installed?
I made an ISO of the Intel installer and loaded it through the virtual optical drive.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
UBotBuddy

Post by UBotBuddy »

@Andyp73

Hey Andy. I read in one of the tuts to create a virtual cd-rom iso and mount it. Well, how did you do that?

I can burn an actual CD but I would rather do it virtually.

Thanks

Buddy
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

UBotBuddy wrote:I read in one of the tuts to create a virtual cd-rom iso and mount it. Well, how did you do that?
On macOS I do it using an application called Keka. On Windows I used ISO Recorder.

-Andy.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

UBotBuddy wrote: Hey Andy. I read in one of the tuts to create a virtual cd-rom iso and mount it. Well, how did you do that?
Just use any of the free and commercially available CD burning apps. I use ImgBurn, which was free when I downloaded it, I don't know about now. Any of these apps can create ISO files instead of burning a physical CD/DVD.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Excuse me everyone, but why go 3rd party software hunting? When you could use the one that comes built-in with VirtualBox?

Just click on the CD icon in the VM (if it's running), or on the [OpticalDrive] in the VM Settings Details pane in VirtualBox Manager, and select "Create ad hoc VISO". Select your files and you're done.
UBotBuddy

Post by UBotBuddy »

I guess I'm a bit thick here.

I still don't see anything close to that. When you say VM settings is that different from VirtualBox Manager?

Thanks

Buddy
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, I meant VirtualBox Manager, showing the Details pane, click on the [Optical Drive]. I've edited my previous post to reflect that. Thank you for you seeing that.

But why go crazy? It's not the NIC that's the problem. I honestly don't like changing the defaults, seriously now.