win10 host gets stuck with network adapter

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
umeca74

win10 host gets stuck with network adapter

Post by umeca74 »

This has been a problem I've noticed for quite a few virtualbox versions. I am running a win10 pro guest from either windows 10 or windows 7 (host).

If I want to disable internet access to the guest, I must use the settings and tick OFF "enable network adapter" from Network settings. This works ok but the checkbox can only be ticked if the guest is not running

If on the other hand I choose to have this setting ticked, and set ATTACHED TO drop-down setting to "not attached", then almost certainly the guest will stop responding sooner or later. The display appears ok but mouse and keyboard are unresponsive (stuck).

This is an inconvenience because I cannot switch the guest on/off internet without restarting it.

This bug only affects win10 guests; anything else I've tried allows using "not attached" and switch to "NAT" and back without any problems
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: win10 host gets stuck with network adapter

Post by scottgus1 »

umeca74 wrote:tick OFF "enable network adapter" from Network settings
This has the effect of removing the network adapter "card" from the virtual "PCI slot" of the guest. Very few PCs could survive having cards removed from them while the OS is running, so this capability is not allowed in Virtualbox while the guest is running.

I don't have a Windows 10 guest to try to see what happens when the "Attached to" dropdown is switched, but the "Cable Connected" checkmark under Advanced (or see the guest window's menu bar, Devices, Network, Connect Network Adapter) will "pull the ethernet cable" from the guest without causing any re-initialization of the guest's network card.
umeca74

Re: win10 host gets stuck with network adapter

Post by umeca74 »

thanks, this "cable connected" advanced tweak allows me to do what I want, i.e. connect/disconnect the internet on the fly on my win10 host!